Trusted Contributor

Appliances - another one bit the dust!

Home this week doing spring cleaning - maybe not as thorough a job as I use to do when I was younger Woman Frustrated

Yesterday, I did a first load of laundry - doilies.  Next load in the washer to go in the dryer - NOPE!!  My American made Whirlpool dryer bit the dust.  Can't stand that appliances don't have the quality to last as long as they should. 

I know this has been a discussion in the past, but having to purchase another one was so darn maddening!  Doesn't help that DH nearly flipped his lid for spending $800 for Sp. Queen.  Oh well, it's the brand I've chosen to go with after so many disappointments with Maytag & Whirlpool.  Hoping for better luck this time.  My old Sp. Queen's lasted many more years that these other ones.  Hard lesson learned, I should have stuck with them.

EDIT:  hoping I'm not jinxing myself ...  

Honored Contributor

Re: Appliances - another one bit the dust!

Sorry your appliance died. I never buy top of the line big appliances, right now my bare bones Whirlpool washer, dryer, refrigerator and stove is going strong at 20 years old. I was told by a repairman one time that the more technology built into the appliances the more goes wrong with them. I have a Sears Kenmore chest freezer that's 35 years old.

Esteemed Contributor

Two year old Magtag dishwasher fell apart. I try very hard to buy simple without frills.  Seems even that did not work. Fond memories of mom's kitchen.  Only time she ever bought a new appliance was to change color.  Sign of the times, everything falls apart.  

Super Contributor

I owned a Maytag 40 years ago before they became made in foreign countries, then I bought a Whirlpool 15 years ago, by far the worst washing machine ever made. Three years ago I bought a Speed Queen commercial heavy duty washer. I absolutely love it! I can control the amount of water I use, none of the save water cra...

‘it is a bit expensive, but. It will last for years. If you can check them out. Mine has different settings. Mine is a top load.

Super Contributor

@ScenicMaine 

‘After spending lots of money on Whirlpool and Maytag, three years ago I rediscovered SpeedQueen, I love mine.

My mother for 30 years used to go to a laundrymat, and they always had Speed Queens!

They  can take a beating and keep on spinning.. 

Honored Contributor

ScenicMaine - Hope you have many happy years with your Speed Queen.

The two local laundromats that I use have Speed Queen Commercial Washers and Dryers. Also the laundry rooms at Disney have Speed Queen Commercial Washers and Dryers.

I think they know something that I had to learn the hard way. The Speed Queen machines will hold up.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99 

I appreciate your thoughts.  I was just venting with the understanding many others have the same or worse happening.

You've been very fortunate to have appliances last that long.  I purchased the Sp. Q. washer last year & the matching dryer this week - both have the knobs on the panel instead of the computerized panel.  My thoughts were that computerized tech. would be more costly to repair/replace.  (I base this upon computer tech. & the issues with them.)

I wish you continued good luck with your appliances.  Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

@Reilley 

I didn't realize Maytag was made in another country.  Geez, when did that happen?

I try to give/believe in our fellow USA Manufacturers.  Speed Queen is still made here.  I posted on another thread that both our smaller appliance store I purchase our appliances from also said more people are switching to Sp. Queen & also other people I know are doing the same.

My sister & DH purchased (forget the brand) washer (front load)/dryer & are sorry about the front load.  I hated ours with the smelly mildew.  Couldn't wait for that one to bite the dust!! 

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu 

Thank you for your good wishes.

Yes, our parents' appliances & homes - all were built with better quality.

the 2 Sp. Queen appliances are not the top frills either.  Both machines are with the knobs rather than the computer panel.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScenicMaine 

individual parts are made over seas. 

I also had had the front load from whirlpool, and they stink, they keep certain amounts of water in them and it doesn’t completely empty. 

Anyone who wants  a Speed Queen better hurry, they won’t be made for sale in the US much longer.