Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone living in this blizzard?

On 11/21/2014 Q4u said:

I had to laugh at .... and Pelosi ....

I'm in Wyoming, and last week it got down to -30 (30 below wind chill!).... You had a ten minuite "window" before frostbite set in. Colder than cold even for here. Not too much snow, but enough snow and ice to make it dangerous. My youngest son had to work that night and I pleaded with him that if his truck broke down to NOT get out and try to fix it, just call us or one of his buddies to come get him and LEAVE the truck!

Yep... life on the Prairie Frozen Tundra ...

A prison guard died the first night of the storm in his car. He had been calling home for hours - telling them just where he was located and where he was headed - he had left work at night and stopped answering his phone the next morning...he actually died in a carwash parking lot. His Kia was under 12 feet drifts of snow.

Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 WSfan said:

My heart goes out to anyone who lives in the Buffalo, NY area. I cannot even begin to imagine dealing with 5 feet+ of snow, coming all at one time, and then more on the way....and this is only the beginning of the snow season. I live in Chicago, where we are having unseasonably cold weather for this time of year. Believe me, we are not complaining any longer, considering what the people in the Buffalo area are living through. I remember the '67 blizzard here; it paralyzed the city for several days. My dad, who worked an hour's drive from home, made it home 2 1/2 days later. He and his car pool buddies got stuck behind a jackknifed semi on a ramp to the expressway. Luckily, people who lived near the ramp saw that there were people stranded in cars, and took them in for 2 nights. The winter of '78-'79 here, was no picnic either, and cost our mayor, who seemed not to give a darn, his job. And then last year's winter did not bring us a blizzard, but smaller amounts of snow that just kept coming and coming and coming. We didn't know where to put it anymore. I believe it ended up being our second snowiest winter on record.

So, residents of the Buffalo area, we are all sympathizing with you. Please hang in there. You are in our thoughts.

Five feet???? That was days ago. It's up to 7 feet in some areas. with drifts up to 20 feet high.

Honored Contributor

It's unseasonably cold here in MA. They type of cold we usually don't get until a month from now. But, no snow and no snow in the forcast. So, I feel blessed. I do feel for the people who are experienced bitter cold and snow storms and blizzards. But we've been through it and we always survive. It happens every year. Granted some winters are harder than other winters. But you know what you are going to get with winter.

Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 terrier3 said:

My heart goes out to anyone who lives in the Buffalo, NY area. I cannot even begin to imagine dealing with 5 feet+ of snow, coming all at one time, and then more on the way....and this is only the beginning of the snow season. I live in Chicago, where we are having unseasonably cold weather for this time of year. Believe me, we are not complaining any longer, considering what the people in the Buffalo area are living through. I remember the '67 blizzard here; it paralyzed the city for several days. My dad, who worked an hour's drive from home, made it home 2 1/2 days later. He and his car pool buddies got stuck behind a jackknifed semi on a ramp to the expressway. Luckily, people who lived near the ramp saw that there were people stranded in cars, and took them in for 2 nights. The winter of '78-'79 here, was no picnic either, and cost our mayor, who seemed not to give a darn, his job. And then last year's winter did not bring us a blizzard, but smaller amounts of snow that just kept coming and coming and coming. We didn't know where to put it anymore. I believe it ended up being our second snowiest winter on record.

So, residents of the Buffalo area, we are all sympathizing with you. Please hang in there. You are in our thoughts.

Five feet???? That was days ago. It's up to 7 feet in some areas. with drifts up to 20 feet high.

Trying to convey to the posters who live in that area that there are those here who feel for what they are going through, but I guess it doesn't pay to be nice on these boards. Someone ALWAYS has to be critical of what may be said here. So, terrier3, if you are one of those affected by this storm, hope you are dug out by June!!!

Honored Contributor

Trying to convey to the posters who live in that area that there are those here who feel for what they are going through, but I guess it doesn't pay to be nice on these boards. Someone ALWAYS has to be critical of what may be said here. So, terrier3, if you are one of those affected by this storm, hope you are dug out by June!!!

I wasn't criticizing you...just giving an update.

Sorry you misinterpreted....everyone has been very nice re: the storm.

Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Q4u said:

I had to laugh at .... <em>and Pelosi</em> ....

I'm in Wyoming, and last week it got down to -30 (30 below wind chill!).... You had a ten minuite "window" before frostbite set in. Colder than cold even for here. Not too much snow, but enough snow and ice to make it dangerous. My youngest son had to work that night and I pleaded with him that if his truck broke down to NOT get out and try to fix it, just call us or one of his buddies to come get him and LEAVE the truck!

Yep... life on the Prairie Frozen Tundra ...

A prison guard died the first night of the storm in his car. He had been calling home for hours - telling them just where he was located and where he was headed - he had left work at night and stopped answering his phone the next morning...he actually died in a carwash parking lot. His Kia was under 12 feet drifts of snow.

OMG... so very, very hard to hear. It's a serious issue and there isn't much time. Kind of like the desert in the summer. I hope everyone takes very good care.

KimmC, I can't believe your neighbor didn't just automatically help you. I think that's lousy! Neighbors are supposed to help each other....~!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

I wasn't criticizing you...just giving an update.

Sorry you misinterpreted....everyone has been very nice re: the storm.

Apology accepted. In that case, I hope you get a heat wave (if that's possible this time of year), so that stuff can start melting. I know it's hard to evoke emotion when writing at times. Heard Wed. that 5 feet had fallen, and more was on the way. The snow updates in that area are not top stories here. Our news has more to do with people killing one another, and the cold weather (as if we haven't had that before).

Frequent Contributor

Thanks Q, I guess I just needed to hear from someone kind after a tough couple of daysSmiley Happy Sorry to vent...

Trusted Contributor

KimmC I am sorry that none of your neighbors offered to help. I have some that I wouldnt expect to offer help and some that I know would offer. I would think you could get in touch with a boy scout troup and they might help to get service badge (also from the heart). Do any high school kids do it for extra money? I couldnt imagine the shoveling. Hang in there everyone. I hope you dont get freezing rain now. Safety first.
Super Contributor

It probably will be worse for you folks when all that snow starts to melt.

I saw a very heartwarming photo on Facebook today of rescue workers - don't know if they were EMT's or firefighters - walking with a man on a stretcher to take him to the hospital. The ambulance had not been able to get to his home.

Those of us who don't live in that part of the country need to say a little prayer for all the snowbound folks. It's been very cold here in western Pennsylvania for the past week, but I can live with that and know that I'm much better off than many others.