Honored Contributor

Anyone have any tips on restoring ANTIQUE cotton garments?

I just found a bag with some beautiful white cotton garments ( 3 little girls' dresses, a Christening gown and cap, and what MAY be a two piece wedding dress) in the oldest part of the attic.

They are VERY fragile, but if I can get them into shape I may have one or two restored.

Has anyone washed or cleaned old cotton?

Any hints?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have any tips on restoring ANTIQUE cotton garments?

Violann, here is a link  to a video by Martha Stewart about cleaning antique linens.  It may be a starting off point for you.  Best of luck!

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I bought a lace tablecloth from the Eisenhower admin. white house. It was stained and yellowed, 100% cotton. I soaked it in club soda - I had to buy many gallons. Then washed it in washing soda cold water gentle. Still had a few stains so it wasn't usable and I decided to take the big gamble and washed it in hot water and bleach, as I had nothing to lose. It came out gorgeous - no more stains.I dried it in the dryer on low, starched and ironed it and  it looked like new. I use it all the time now and wash it on hot and dry it in the dryer.I love to tell it's history when someone comments on it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I bought a lace tablecloth from the Eisenhower admin. white house. It was stained and yellowed, 100% cotton. I soaked it in club soda - I had to buy many gallons. Then washed it in washing soda cold water gentle. Still had a few stains so it wasn't usable and I decided to take the big gamble and washed it in hot water and bleach, as I had nothing to lose. It came out gorgeous - no more stains.I dried it in the dryer on low, starched and ironed it and  it looked like new. I use it all the time now and wash it on hot and dry it in the dryer.I love to tell it's history when someone comments on it.

I find this quite interesting. 

Quaker Lace made a line available to the public, reproductions of the design made for the Eisenhower White House by the company.

Did you receive documentation authenticating that this was the actual White House tablecloth, as it would have been much larger than those we use for standard size tables, and not likely to have made it out into the general public. Without such documentation, one would assume this to be a reproduction piece, one of the many that were made by the thousands and available to the public. 

Respected Contributor

I don't know how to do it myself, but there are businesses that restore fabric.  When we lived in Ct., there was a woman who operated out of her home.  She restored an antique wedding gown for me to perfection.  I hope you are able to successfully restore or have your items restored.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I find this quite interesting. 

Quaker Lace made a line available to the public, reproductions of the design made for the Eisenhower White House by the company.

Did you receive documentation authenticating that this was the actual White House tablecloth, as it would have been much larger than those we use for standard size tables, and not likely to have made it out into the general public. Without such documentation, one would assume this to be a reproduction piece, one of the many that were made by the thousands and available to the public. 

Yes I did receive documentation.Also the reproductions would have not been 100% cotton as mine is, They are poly. It is quite large - falls to the floor, and puddles on my octagon shaped table.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Pretty cool table linens!  Did the documentation note any VIPs that dined at your "table?"

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all! The one I washed yešterday dried beautifully in ths sun. I'm going to try another this morning. I first soaked it in tepid water with a scant T of white vinegar. I put a "dye catcher" cloth in while I soaked it, and it did pull a lot of gunk out of the fabric.

Then I rinsed it and put it on a towel out in the sun.

It was FUN to see it look so much better!