Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else planning their after holidays decluttering yet?

I have started my decluttering already. I had 2 sets of china and I gave a set to my daughter for her Thanksgiving dinner. I started giving away the Christmas decorations I no longer use too. When you get older you don't need half of the things you have.

Jessa
Regular Contributor

Oh heavens yes, I can't wait to get stuck in and get rid of things that I don't use. I usually give all year long to a lot of charity shops and also to the local library they have a shop that resells books, magazines and the money goes back into the library for items they need. After I have what I think is a good clearing out, I still see so much more I can do without. It's such a good feeling someone else can use it or make money on it to help a cause. I also take things into a consignment shop and have done really well, I get half of what it's sold for, it's better than giving some things away that you may have spent some good money on at one time. And also yard sales are a good way too, to make a little cash and though it is a bit of work, it's a lot of fun in the end. Funny though how we spend most of our early years gathering up things we want and after 50 it's trying to find out how to get rid of it! Good luck to all in 2015, that want to lighten the load!

Frequent Contributor

Oh my......this thread is so appropriate for me. DH and I are putting our home on the market the early part of 2015. We started in September.....and we are going thru every cabinet, shelf, nook, cranny, closet, box and bag that we have. We have been in our home 20 years.....and we have stuff, believe you me.

Other than my kitchen things, clothes and other items that are very special to DH and me.....we have decided to buy a home that we like first......and buy new furniture to fit the space......LOL.

Other than the Kringle Express red fabric cone trees that are sitting on our mantel......we are not decorating for the holiday this year. The thought of unpacking to repack the holiday decorations......a bit too much work for me this year.

But, wait until next holiday season........our new home will be decorated to the "nine's"....big time......LOL.

Honored Contributor

When we got home from snowbirding this fall I housecleaned everything. It took a few weeks to get all done. I also decluttered every cupboard , drawer and closet in this house including the garage. I moved every movable piece of furniture and cleaned under and behind everything. of course my DH had to do the heavy work of all this and he now swears it will be another 5 years before he does it again. However, it is a great feeling to be all done.

Honored Contributor

I do a major clean before Thanksgiving. I do it all at once so that every thing is clean and pristine.

Walls and doors get washed, pictures get dusted, wiped down, window, sills and drapery get washed. All bedding is removed and washed although a lot get replaced (mattress pad covers, pillows). Every inch of floor is washed or steamed, although I do that once a week. Kitchen cabinetry gets polished as do bathroom cabinets.

It's a small cottage, but it's still a lot of work. Takes me just as long as it does other homes I own (and clean weekly) that are twice to three times this size.

As far as de-cluttering, I don't over do it with decorations for Christmas. Red and green don't go with my décor. Plus there's been a baby or toddler a year for the past 5-6 years so I keep it simple for safety and sanity's sake.

I don't do my spring clean till the pollen's pretty much done.

Esteemed Contributor

I am doing my decluttering now. I do it all year but this is a major one.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I agree about doing it in stages. For the last few years I overdid it and ended up hurting for a long time. It was stupid of me but I got so sick of seeing boxes etc all over the place.

Honored Contributor

On 12/10/2014 qvcaddition said: I do it throughout the year. When I bring an item in, another goes out.

That's my new plan too. It really makes a lot of sense. And if it still works, it doesn't need to be replaced!

Honored Contributor

I did the big declutter almost 3 years ago and now it's just a daily upkeep thing for me. I go to Goodwill at least twice a month and I've been selling things on a Facebook yard sale page.

The local kidney foundation called last weekend and said they'd be in the area next Tuesday and did I have a bag for them. I didn't, but told them I'd have one ready for them and I will.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I'm on about step 2 of putting decorations UP!