Honored Contributor

Anyone else notice that the globes on VPH scenes under glass

are getting cloudy pretty quickly, even after several washings?

When I first received my scenes under glass, I washed the globes in hot soapy water and dried with a clean towel. In a matter of a day or two, they were looking cloudy again, so I got more clean towels and rags, and washed and rinsed and dried well again. Several days later, they were kind of cloudy again.

I can't determine if it is on the inside or the outside, but they seem to need the globes washed every few days to look sparkling clean. I have other glass globe things sitting in the same rooms, like oil lamps, and don't see them getting dull and cloudy like these globes are. I'm wondering if there is some chemical in the piece (the scene part) that is causing this, as the globe sits over the scene, and no air is circulating around, some chemicals are making the glass cloud. 

Anyone else have this issue? I'd think maybe it was my home environment, but I don't have any other glass things that will get this 'dirty' looking in this short amount of time. I have washed well, and rinsed well, thinking I was leaving a soap deposit, and also got fresh towels each time, thinking it could be something in the towels. 

Any suggestions or ideas, I'd appreciate feedback!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else notice that the globes on VPH scenes under glass

MIO: I have a theory as to why the glass is getting cloudy. You know how your windshield gets a haze on it from the inside and you need to clean it to see better?

It is close to the plastic dashboard and the outgassing from the plastic causes the film.

I think the same might be true for the little scenes as they are comprised of resin and plastic. It is outgassing and needs to be cleaned just like the windshield!

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

MIO: I have a theory as to why the glass is getting cloudy. You know how your windshield gets a haze on it from the inside and you need to clean it to see better?

It is close to the plastic dashboard and the outgassing from the plastic causes the film.

I think the same might be true for the little scenes as they are comprised of resin and plastic. It is outgassing and needs to be cleaned just like the windshield!

That is exactly along the same lines I was thinking. Glad to know I'm not just making things up in my mind. I have to wonder if I leave the scenes uncovered for a few weeks, might the gasses from everything dissipate enough to stop the problem. I might just set them in the spare bedroom and give that a try.

Thanks for the reply!

Honored Contributor

Good morning, MIO, hope you're having a great start to your day.

Yes, I am having a problem with the glass in the VPH scene under glass.  I first thought that maybe I hadn't waited long enough after washing to make sure it was totally dry and that moisture was causing the cloudy appearance.  But, I washed and dried again very well, a few days later my DH asked why they looked so dirty.  I've already washed three times and I'm packing them away for awhile, it's time anyway.  I had a problem last year with the LR cloche too.  I get tired of trying to keep them looking clear and clean.   While I do love them, I hope that I can resist buying anymore.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

Good morning, MIO, hope you're having a great start to your day.

Yes, I am having a problem with the glass in the VPH scene under glass.  I first thought that maybe I hadn't waited long enough after washing to make sure it was totally dry and that moisture was causing the cloudy appearance.  But, I washed and dried again very well, a few days later my DH asked why they looked so dirty.  I've already washed three times and I'm packing them away for awhile, it's time anyway.  I had a problem last year with the LR cloche too.  I get tired of trying to keep them looking clear and clean.   While I do love them, I hope that I can resist buying anymore.  :-)

Good to know! I'm guessing that with the passage of time, it may tone down or go away. I'll consider leaving them uncovered awhile and see if that helps. I was hoping to pack them up so that they will be 'new' and exciting in a few months, and really don't want them sitting around any longer, but I'll give it a try. 

You have a great day too!

Esteemed Contributor

good to know it wasn't just mine,  I was wondering why this was happening, the ones from year don't get dirty like that , they stay very clean and Clear.   Lisa's cloche from last year is always dirty looking s well.   I was  giving a church scene as a Gift now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't give an item that looks dirty ll the time.  Have to give it some thought.

Trusted Contributor

I have 2 of the churches (one for me and one for a gift). I left them out for over 2 weeks to make sure the timers were functioning properly and I didn't have any problems with the glass domes on either of them clouding up.  I did leave them in a back bedroom which doesn't get much traffic as I didn't want them in the main living room but I hope that doesn't happen all the time when its out for the Christmas season. I have enough to clean. Worse than that is if you planned on using them for other decor during the year. Who wants to have to remove filler to clean the thing all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The same thing is happening to mine. 

After the first 2 or 3 days, I noticed it looked all hazy or foggy, so I washed it again twice.  I left it out for another 3 or 4 days, and I noticed it again. 

Then I just moved it to my spare room and left it there until reading this. 

I brought it out just a little while ago and washed it three times with a little Dawn blue and dried it with a clean towel.  I had to wash it three times because it still looked a little foggy after the first two washes today, like there was still a film on it.  I don't use fabric softener at all, so I know it isn't that.  After the third wash and dry today, and a little white vinegar with the rinse, it looks very clear. 

Now, I have placed just the glass cloche by itself on the wood floor in the spare room.  I will see if the same thing happens again without the scene and pedestal underneath it.  I agree with the outgassing theory. 

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR, I had the same problem with the LR cloche from last year.  I did put a scene of my own in it so maybe could be the same outgasing from the scene that I made for it.

I'm also testing to see if you get notified of this post.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@lucymo I got the notification. 

I have one apothecary that does this.  It has some clear acrylic beads in it along with a flameless candle in a glass jar.  I admit that I don't clean it very often on the inside, because it is in the far corner and out of sight, out of mind.