Contributor

Re: Anyone Regret Getting A Memory Foam Mattress?

this is somewhat off the mattress topic, but the recent HSN Joy Mangano Memory foam bed pillows were a waste of money. They have an odd smell and they are so hard, we finally figured out that's why we have not been sleeping so well since we got them. Duh... Those things are like rocks, good if somebody likes a hard pillow but not so much for us{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

YES...........YES...........YES!

Esteemed Contributor

I've had my memory foam mattress for over eight years. My 18 pound dog and I both love it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/23/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I am so glad to see this thread.

DH and I still haven't taken the plunge and bought a new mattress set and we are so long overdue, it's ridiculous. Our current set is caved in and I wake up in so much back pain because this set is so old, but we can't decide what we want so we buy nothing.

We both thought a foam mattress felt wonderful for the short amount of time we tried one in the store. But we both have bad backs and were concerned about them plus the smell, plus being too hot.

If you haven't gone to a store that has Sweda beds, I'd recommend giving them a try. I have a Sweda Green bed. It's natural latex foam, which provides support, but eases to conform to your body, which is what the Tempurpedic didn't do for me. The Sweda is also 100% resistant to mites, bedbugs and the like and there is no odor whatsoever.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I don't remember if I've answered this thread already, but I have a mattress that has a very thick memory foam top and I hate it. The memory foam is permanently caved in where I sleep. I weigh 134 lbs. and don't think this should have happened. It was a very expensive mattress. I think the next mattress that I get will be a talalay latex foam mattress. They are supposed be very comfortable and last a really long time. I just bought a new couch and a new computer, or I would get the mattress now. It's next on my list though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have an older (2004) Serta coil mattress with foam topper. It was high end and well made at the time. What I loved bout it was the foam topper was on BOTH sides and we could flip it. As expensive as it was at the time (2300 on sale), it was well worth it. I wish I could get another! A couple years ago the foam started showing signs of wear, so we got a memory foam topper from QVC, The 4 inch PedicSolutions, and it was the best. Now that memory foam is not what it used to be. We are older now, so that has a lot to do with it, lol! It is true with memory foam , it is harder to move around on. Especially if you have medical issues. I have a bad back and have had a knee that was bad (got surgery last week). It is harder for me to move side to side.

My mom liked the memory foam, but she could not move at all on it, and we had to take it off. It did say on the memory foam topper to NOT use on the infirm or elderly as moving or getting out of bed could be an issue. This may not be true of everyone, but it was a warning that played out as true for us.

When I buy a new mattress, it will be a traditional. I am 68, and I am sure this will be my last one.

Trusted Contributor

We bought a Serta iComfort last year. I HATE it! I tried out the Tempurpedic, but it had a strong odor, and the salesman said it could take quite a while to "off-gas." And, my husband had had a Tempurpedic pillow and it did take about a year to get rid of the odor.

I'm menopausal, and don't find the iComfort at all hot. And, I have no problem rolling over or getting out of bed. However, I have lower back issues, and it causes me pain when I sleep. And, sometimes I have a hard time straightening up in the morning.

I was just released from PT for my back, and am doing exercises at home. However, I end up spending most of the night sleeping in my La Z Boy because I can sleep pain free in that chair.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Regular Contributor

It seems comfortable at first and then I'm not sure. I'm not buying anything until I'm fairly certain that it's the one. I haven't gone back to try them again because it takes so much effort to think about how my body is reacting to it. It's crazy that I have to put this much effort into picking out a bed.

Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 toodles11 said:

It seems comfortable at first and then I'm not sure. I'm not buying anything until I'm fairly certain that it's the one. I haven't gone back to try them again because it takes so much effort to think about how my body is reacting to it. It's crazy that I have to put this much effort into picking out a bed.

Picking out a bed is harder than picking a new house or car IMHO. It is so personal an effects your sleep. Also, you need to sleep on it a while before you get the true comfort (or not) of the mattress. Most mattresses are non returnable, and a hassle so it is a hard purchase.

We are going through the same thing finding a new mattress. If I could get one just like the old one I have it would be great! But they change styles every month it seems

Trusted Contributor

I got a foam mattress from Sams Club a few years back and I love it. It is not hot, nor does it smell. Better than innerspring mattresses I have had before.