Trusted Contributor

Re: Another organizational saga!

@Mominohio -  What you wrote about getting things out into the light of day really hit home with me, and not knowing how much of a certain item you have because they may be in different locations.  I don't use a lot of things for that very reason.  One minimalist blog I like is called Becoming Minimalist.  I find there are differing philosophies on minimalist:  some say you can only have X number of things, or only save one sentimental item to remind you of someone (like one plate from your grandmother's china).  The philosophy I like is that you only have things that contribute to your life and get rid of things that detract from the life you want to have.  Example, if you have so much stuff that you have to spend a lot of time cleaning, when you would rather be with your kids or other social activity, you may have too much stuff.  I've gone beyond feeling I have to keep something just because it was a gift, or belonged to someone in my family.  I know a lot of people get stuck there.  And also, as retirement is looming and I'll be entering a different lifestyle, I know at one point I will be downsizing.  I have no children, so I will be the one to get rid of my stuff.  I'm also to a point where I would rather save money to travel as opposed to buying another "X".  I need to be realistic about the amount of time and energy I'm willing (and able) to spend to haul decor up and down the stairs.  This is very interesting topic to me.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I suppose some of us are done with organizing for the new year, and some have not even started, while some like me are plodding through at a speed that resembles moving backward!!

I have a spare bedroom that while looking neat and tidy on the surface, was a nightmare when looking in and under things. I had a closet so full I couldn't hardly open the door. Much removed and donated, other things kept arranged in new Kano storage boxes...done.

Under a side table covered with a tablecloth was stored at least 30 flameless candles along with pedestals etc. All removed from that room, organized into Kano boxes, and stored on new shelving in the basement. Before, it was a horrific nightmare to access the one or two candles I wanted, now, I unzip the box, and pull out just the ones I want. All neat, organized by brand and color, no fuss o muss! Done!

Under a dresser, I had scrapbooking materials. All are now organized in a Kano box and in the basement. If I don't do something with them in the next year (I have never made a scrapbook yet), it will go to donations. I'm giving myself this year to do something with them, as I spent a couple of years doing photo albums and have some really great ideas to make scrapbooks for my son, niece and nephew of their ancestors. So at least for now, out of that bedroom and in one place on a shelf downstairs.

Baskets! Today's dilemma! I have a twin bed in that room and it sits kitty cornered, leaving a nice big triangle behind it...great for storing some of my less used baskets. I had them stacked, nice and neat, nested and organized. You couldn't see them over the headboard, so not unsightly. But....every time I wanted to use a serving or picnic basket, I'd have to go and dig and what a pain. Most of the time I'd just turn around and leave the room, and choose to use something else. 

Today I took out all the baskets, discovered there were a couple I simply don't want anymore...gone into a donation bag. Then I realized there were several that belonged in my decor in certain areas, and I don't know how they got put away, but got them back to the spaces they belonged. A few I decided could be used in certain closets, like one is now on the top shelf of the linen closet holding our unused toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss etc. It replaced a shoe box of all things. Why was I using a shoebox when I have a nice pretty basket to hold something like that? Another one is going under the kitchen sink to help organize a few things there. 

So today started with some 'quality' time online looking at ideas for using baskets. The picnic and serving baskets that I go to use but give up because they aren't accessible will be going down on those new Origami shelves, ready to be used on a regular basis because I can easily get to them, but the covers on the shelving will keep the dust off. There will be nothing going back behind that bed....man that feels good. A few more will end up going to donations, as when the shelf is full, that is all I will keep.

This year has been all about "what good is it to have things you never use, only because they are too hard to access (as opposed to you just don't use them because you don't like or need them any more). I want to be done with boxes of things in the basement that I'd like to use, but it's too much trouble to dig the stuff out. Or closets so full, you don't use 90% of what is there because it is too hard to dig it out and put everything else back. Or things stored under beds because you can't find anywhere else for them!!!

This room alone has been a really big challenge. It became the storage area for anything I couldn't find a place for elsewhere. Even I'm amazed that for the room looking so nice and neat and inviting, how much stuff was crammed in under and behind things. It was beginning to give me nightmares!!

Just thought I'd share my latest battle in the organizational war zone!

@Mominohio  Re Origami, HSN has a 3-tier on sale today.  Amazon has the same for $39+, HSN has it for $59+ today, one day only.  I paid thirty dollars more in order to get a color, as amazon only has black, but for the place I need it, black wouldn't do as I wanted it to blend in somewhat with the furniture behind it.  I wish I had more places as I love these units.

Yes, I am one who is still organizing while I put Christmas away.  Though I am donating a lot, none of it is Christmas items, lol, just can't part with any of it.

Esteemed Contributor

I was so relieved when i read your saga about organizing the home. I swear, one project leads to another and then another. I have cleared out this house three times and I still see "stuff". I am determined that this year will be my last year to get it under control. 

My goal was to be able to see empty spaces. I have quite a few storage rooms and somehow they never seem to look tidy. I have purchased shelving and cubicles and baskets. That helped. I now have decided that more of this stuff needs to "go". I have been saving so many decorations because of sentiment but I'm in a more simplified style of decorating for the seasons and holidays.

Some of the tasks I have set aside as my 30 minute "jobs" and that has really worked for me. I don't necessarily want to spend a week in a room but if I can clear these areas of all the little odd jobs then it doesn't seem so never ending to me.

I know that sooner or later it will all get done. I keep plodding along and try to focus on the end result.

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@Mominohio -  What you wrote about getting things out into the light of day really hit home with me, and not knowing how much of a certain item you have because they may be in different locations.  I don't use a lot of things for that very reason.  One minimalist blog I like is called Becoming Minimalist.  I find there are differing philosophies on minimalist:  some say you can only have X number of things, or only save one sentimental item to remind you of someone (like one plate from your grandmother's china).  The philosophy I like is that you only have things that contribute to your life and get rid of things that detract from the life you want to have.  Example, if you have so much stuff that you have to spend a lot of time cleaning, when you would rather be with your kids or other social activity, you may have too much stuff.  I've gone beyond feeling I have to keep something just because it was a gift, or belonged to someone in my family.  I know a lot of people get stuck there.  And also, as retirement is looming and I'll be entering a different lifestyle, I know at one point I will be downsizing.  I have no children, so I will be the one to get rid of my stuff.  I'm also to a point where I would rather save money to travel as opposed to buying another "X".  I need to be realistic about the amount of time and energy I'm willing (and able) to spend to haul decor up and down the stairs.  This is very interesting topic to me.

@DecorDiva

Your explanation of two different minimalist philosophies really makes some sense to me.

The philosophy limiting the specific number of individual things one can have really doesn't work for me. It seems to treat one like a child, unable to make decisions on their own. I say people may want nothing from their grandmother, but 5 things from a great aunt. I may want to keep none of my baskets, but 10 of my pieces of pottery. For me it's about the  space overall. If I choose to have many of some things, and none of others, as long as it is manageable for me at my point in life should be the deciding factor, not a 'recipe' for a one size fits all solution.

And I like the philosophy better (like you) that is about having what enhances your life. And what a lot of minimalist or organizational people don't realize is that that can be different for different people or even different for the same person, at various stages of their life. 

I think it depends on age, health, interests, abilities, finances, past life experiences and other factors. Some people revel in their 'things' enjoy acquiring them, having them, using them, and even cleaning and maintaining them. Other people would find the same level of things to be a burden. It really is an individual thing, what is 'enough' what is 'manageable', what is 'desirable'. Many times the writing on the topic assumes there is a standard level of the quantity of things one must possess to be organized or not burdened, but I definitely do not think there is a 'one size fits all' answer to the issue.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

I saw the HSN TSV. I was considering, but think that I need that fourth shelf to maximize the use of space going up!. Seems like the Amazon price would really be worth it, even lacking that 4th shelf though!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl

I saw the HSN TSV. I was considering, but think that I need that fourth shelf to maximize the use of space going up!. Seems like the Amazon price would really be worth it, even lacking that 4th shelf though!

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl

@Mominohio  I would have bought the amazon but can't use black, only color amazon offers,  in my red room. Smiley Happy  I only have minimal space in which to put a rack, and four tier would be too tall for this particular space.  It does irk me that color adds thirty dollars to it, oh well.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl

@Mominohio  I would have bought the amazon but can't use black, only color amazon offers,  in my red room. Smiley Happy  I only have minimal space in which to put a rack, and four tier would be too tall for this particular space.  It does irk me that color adds thirty dollars to it, oh well.

@mousiegirl

Yep! They know when they have us, don't they? LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio

Which Origami shelf are you talking about? I looked at HSN and their TS is makeup.

I saw a narrow three shelf unit that looks like a shorter version of the one I ordered, but it does not look like a special of any kind.

I am thinking of getting that small one to put extra pantry items on and getting rid of another thing I am using.