Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice for keeping snakes out of house

Thank you all so much for the replies!!

Honored Contributor

@Perkup  In our plan they charged extra for screens - not a lot , maybe $50. Anyway, many people didn't get them. They open the doors & windows  and just leave them wide open. Geez - it's Florida folks - their homes must be a menagerie inside. I constantly am nagging my DH to close the screen door.

Honored Contributor

I had a badger living under my house one time. They love to eat snakes. I could send you one if you'd like.Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

I hate to burst your snake  less bubble, but there are snakes everywhere,  you just arent seeing them . water and woods are the big draws around homes.I often tell  my husband ,We need to live in Hawaii . Only place no snakes ,none allowed i n as pets, just lots of wild  chickens..Maryanne

Honored Contributor

We have had snakes several times inside our lanai and usually DH opens the lanai door then gets the hose and squirts them from the other side of the lanai so they jump and as fast as possible they head for that open door. This method has been pretty effective thus far. We had to chase Ash once when the landscapers were here cutting the bushes, I think they scared him and he went for a safe place - the lanai.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had a black snake, about 4 or 5 ft long that lived in our basement for about five years.  She ate mice and living on a former golph course, plus our back yard being woods, it's vertually a zoo here.  

One day she was out and our dog found and wrestled her.  "Wilhelmina" moved out.  The mice moved in and we again went back to traps and peanutbutter to be safe around the fur baby!

Honored Contributor

Interesting ... 

What countries have no snakes?
Ireland
New Zealand
Antartica
Hawaii
Iceland
Greenland

Esteemed Contributor

@bosmamaa - I don't want to scare you, but NJ has its fair share of copperheads and rattlers too along with many other varieties! 

I'm originally from the northern part of the state and there were copperheads around!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've lived where snakes were in the area and my yard almost daily. Some were poisonous. Also, they got into my neighbors homes. One went up into my neighbor's wall and they had to tear part of it out to get the snake out. An exterminator did.

I was always on the lookout when I was outside, and tried some lyme but it didn't work. My cat did kill one of them, and our dog killed another, but that was it. I actually found it rather odd that the dog killed one. I know you hate it because I did too. Good luck with getting rid of them. Don't give up!

Honored Contributor

A .357 works.........but there can be an awful lot of collateral damage

♥Surface of the Sun♥