Super Contributor

Accent Tile or No???

[ Edited ]

faucet.jpgfaucet.jpgtile.jpgWe are getting our bathroom remodeled to become handicapped accessible which the VA is paying for much of it but I wanted to add a little extra money to it to make it a beautiful handicapped bathroom.  Question is... I found a beautiful accent tile for the shower in rich copper tones, browns and gold and was wondering is it a bad idea to use accent tiles?  I'm using oil rubbed bronze finishes and I think it would pop the tile and fishishes but maybe that's just me.          

Honored Contributor

@luvboyds wrote:

We are getting our bathroom remodeled to become handicapped accessible which the VA is paying for much of it but I wanted to add a little extra money to it to make it a beautiful handicapped bathroom.  Question is... I found a beautiful accent tile for the shower in rich copper tones, browns and gold and was wondering is it a bad idea to use accent tiles?  I'm using oil rubbed bronze finishes and I think it would pop the tile and fishishes but maybe that's just me.          

That sounds beautiful.

We use the bathroom many times a day...why not make it as nice as possible?

If you DON'T do it now...you'll be kicking yourself for years to come...tiling isn't something that gets done every few years!

Super Contributor

Thank you!  The 12x12 tile will be a medium tone brown but the accent is like jewels.  I read that people that do the accent tile wish they hadn't a few years later.  I guess I'm just nervouse about it all.  The contractors start Dec 7th and I have to get all my decisions made before then....biting my nails Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

I think accent tile is well worth the expense.  It can absolutely define the tilework and make the entire wall look beautiful and custom (even though it isn't).  Go for it!  I bet it will look marvelous..... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Btw.... I've never gotten tired of accent tiles~!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Thank you Q4U!  I have bought several different pieces to try with the tile and they always say to go with your gut and what speaks to you and this one has screamed at me.  The same tile will be used on the walls of the shower along with the floor so I was thinking the accent tile would break it up and it looks timeless with the colors and any colors can be used with it.  I guess I never thought about it much that people would hate it after a few years.   

Super Contributor

I hope I don't ...lol.  I couldn't go through this again especially right here at Christmas.  We ordered new cabinets as well which we are paying for and our contractors is installing them and doing extra work becasue he wants our claw foot tub.  We are losing our bathtub but we have to do what we have to do.  

Respected Contributor
The tile is beautiful, but if you go with browns in the paint, you will weigh the room down with brown floors, brown accent tiles, brown paint. Choose the paint color that is lighter, like one of the lighter colors in the accent tile. The three there are dark, plus the floor tile is kind of ho-hum brown too, so the dark floor plus the dark walls will make the room seem way smaller than it is. The dark floor is ok, but go lighter on the walls and the main tile for the shower unit, so not to weigh the room down.

The satin nickel finish on the faucet is beautiful along with the gorgeous sink. Don't forget to get a handicap toilet and do the hand rails while they are doing the tiles. You can add the handicap rails later, but might as well since they are making a mess anyway. They do make great towel bars as well.

Also I do hope you are planning on a bench of some sort or one of those pull down chairs to sit on to shower. Those are always wonderful for accessibility. My sister used one that you put into the tub when she had her knee operated on and couldn't put weight on it for 6 weeks with a 3 and 5 year old running around. She now sits in it to do their baths instead of the kiddy stool. It is so much handier and better on the back than the stool. We painted it with pretty spray paint so it isn't so much like a hospital object.
Respected Contributor
I would seriously rethink the whole brown for the floor and walls. Unless the room is huge and full of light, all that brown will be overwhelming with the only white or lighter colors being the sink and toilet. The brown paint will do that as well, so lightening that and the floor tiles will play wonderfully with the coppery accents in the accent tile. Find the accent tile you like first, then do the floor and paint from it. That way the whole room is playing off the accent tiles without them looking like an afterthought instead of intergrated into the idea from the start.
Super Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.  The chips on top is for the grout.  I wasn't thinking and should have mentioned that but the top right is lighter for the grout which will help lighten it up.  I'm not sure how it would look with different tiles from the floor to shower because there isn't a lip or anything, so I'm wondering how the transition would look and that is what they guy said would be is the same tile but I can't see what it would matter. 

I have the hand rails picked out already.  They have to be installed for this to pass the VA's policy. I found a teak shower seat that folds down.  Found one that has the oil rubbed bronze finish to it.  Saw where some of them were made of plastic (hinges) that is crazy.  Our toilet is ok already so he doens't have to replace it.  Glad that your sister had something to sit on after her operation.  Having a seat will help him greatly.  A seat will help me too when I have to bath our animals Smiley Wink