Esteemed Contributor

A Question About How You Decorate............

for Thanksgiving/Fall and Christmas.  Do you do one holiday at a time or do you overlap them?

I ask because there is a house outside of town that the owners have redone outside. They just added a retainer wall along the driveway and new sidewalks. It really looks great and they have the most beautiful fall decorations arranged along the new wall. It is the usual suspects, mums, pumpkins etc. but it looks great and the colors are just perfect.

Today I drove by and in addition to that wonderful fall display they have big red and white candy canes hanging over the garage doors, right behind the fall stuff and big red bows on the front porch nearby.

To my untrained, unprofessional eye the Christmas stuff takes away from the fall decorations.  They clash.

Years ago when I decorated I did one holiday out at a time.

What do you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: A Question About How You Decorate............

Yes, I think it detracts to overlap, but in my climate, people decorate for Christmas on any warm weekend. We had one of those a few weeks ago, so once our Halloween lights came down, the Christmas ones went up. I'll hold off putting Christmas decorations on our porch until after Thanksgiving. On a side note, seems more Christmas trees went up earlier inside houses - perhaps due to people staying home more.

Honored Contributor

Your description sounds interesting.   I wish you had posted a picture. 

I do one holiday at a time. 

Not liking orange, I  breeze through to winter with spiced apple candles

Valued Contributor

I never combine the holidays. I love my fall decorations and never put a single Christmas out before December 1. Just something I always have done. It is still harvest, fall, until the last day of November at my house. I love that I get 3 months of enjoyment from my fall decorations.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our Fall decor went up early this year! The day after Thanksgiving, our Christmas decor goes up, and the tree is decorated! It is a labor of love, and generally takes a few days to complete, because we decorate every room in the house, and then outside.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

I don't decorate anymore.  But, it was always Chrismas at Christmas until Little Christmas.

Thanksgiving was all about food - no decorations.

Honored Contributor

@greamy wrote:

I never combine the holidays. I love my fall decorations and never put a single Christmas out before December 1. Just something I always have done. It is still harvest, fall, until the last day of November at my house. I love that I get 3 months of enjoyment from my fall decorations.

@greamy  I'm with you on this. All my fall decorations including pumpkins are out except for Jack o lanterns. Christmas goes up in December when the mood strikes.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  I got rid of my cell phone so I couldn't take any pictures, also I do not know these people and don't know if they would mind a stranger photographing their house, much less posting a pic on the internet.

Personally, I would ask for permission.

Honored Contributor

The colors of fall and winter don't really go, at least the ones I have.

I love the fall decorations I have and take them down and put up Christmas after Thanksgiving.

Though, last year, I have some little snowmen and deer that I like to always look at so I just left them up in the bookcase!

"We need a little Christmas" all year long! ☃️🎄

Christmas deer | Maryanne Christiano-Mistretta

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I do one holiday at a time. I’m excited to put up Christmas but will do that on Black Friday. I can’t wait.