Respected Contributor

for 19" tsv lantern to ship to Alaska.  That makes it an $80 lantern. Nope, not for me.  Why do shoppers in conus complain about S&H?

Trusted Contributor

I imagine it takes more fuel and manpower to deliver in areas not easy to access. I am sure supplies (groceries, clothing) cost more in Alaska and Hawaii because it takes more money to deliver it there.

Esteemed Contributor

That's really high.   Sorry that you can't get and enjoy the lantern due to the extra expense.  Do other home decor websites charge as much to AK?

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

I imagine it takes more fuel and manpower to deliver in areas not easy to access. I am sure supplies (groceries, clothing) cost more in Alaska and Hawaii because it takes more money to deliver it there.

@flickerbulb  DH and I love to watch the HGTV shows of 'Buying Alaska' and have learned a lot from all the inconveniences folks have by living up in Alaska. Even living right in towns/cities, certain things are very expensive.

We also watch similar shows...Buying Log Homes, Buying the Rockies, etc. We live in dreamland...LOL

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

for 19" tsv lantern to ship to Alaska.  That makes it an $80 lantern. Nope, not for me.  Why do shoppers in conus complain about S&H?

@traveler   WOW!!!!! That's some shipping charge!!!!  A co-worker used to live in Hawaii and she complained about the high cost of everything there too and also about the shipping and handling chargers but I had no idea shipping was THAT HIGH for both places......beautiful country at both locations!

The reason some of us complain in conus is that other companies offer a lot cheaper shipping chargers or they offer special shipping deals or have promo or coupon codes to get shipping for free at other online retailers....Sometimes Q's shipping doesn't make their prices competitive.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I'm so sorry, Traveler, that is a lot of money for s&h.  I don't blame you for passing on it.

Why do we complain?  I guess because we're human and that's what we do.  Seriously, we all complain about something, don't you think? 

What's your weather like now?  It is so hot and dry here in MO and I try not to complain about it because I hate winter, but this is uncomfortable too.  Are you a native of Alaska?  If so, I guess you are accustomed to the cold.  Have a wonderful day and I wish you could get the lantern if you want it.

Regular Contributor

I don't like being charged shipping for multiples of the same item that wind up getting shipped to me in the same box. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of when that happens. It's not cost effective at all, but I'd feel less annoyed if they all shipped separately.

Respected Contributor

Lived here or years and years if that's  what you mean.  I live in the largest city 350,000 people and about 10 miles from main airport.  Yes, everything costs a bit more but geesh.

Contributor

Wow that's alot traveler.  Do all items you purchase here cost more to ship to you?  When other sites are free shipping do you get that to Alaska?

@Susan Louise I'm like you I always watch the HGTV shows, Buying Alaska, Buying the Rockies, Log Homes.  Love those shows.  Some of those homes oh my!!  Of course the Buying Alaska homes "off the grid" is a little too much.  It don't matter how nice they try to make those outhouses, lol!  And no running water, no, no, no!!!

Trusted Contributor

@traveler wrote:

@traveler...Shipping is way out of control for Alaska.  Last year when I sent 2 boxes and not big ones to our DD in Alaska for Xmas, it was well over $100.00.  Don't send boxes much.  Was just small gifts and stocking stuffers.  Won't send again for a couple years because of that.  Doesn't cost must to send a check.

Sorry you didn't get your lantern.

JPC