Respected Contributor

After 3 years I am still downsizing.  I used to put up multiple full size trees and each had a different theme.  Decided to have just a 4 ft table tree with birds so giving away decor.  Boxes of it.  Including "gingerbread theme and beaded fruit.

Honored Contributor

My Christmas trees got smaller and smaller until poof! they disappeared completely.  I'm alone so I don't even bother anymore.  It's just another day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: still downsizing

[ Edited ]

Me, too.......just don't feel like packing the stuff back up anymore.....last year my holiday decorating consisted of my ceramic tree that I made in the 70's.........and undecorating was a breeze!!

Valued Contributor

I also have downsized in my decorating.....in fact, all I do is put up several poinsettias.  My house used to look like Macy's several years ago, not anymore. 

Respected Contributor

There are just 3 adults now and the guys don't care and don't help.  My main interest now is my fireplace mantle

Honored Contributor

No tree for the 2 of us either.  Just my nativity set with my Hummel figurines.  Love it!

Honored Contributor

Re: still downsizing

[ Edited ]

I still do two trees but one is now down to a 5 foot size, and I want the main one in the living room to be that  size as well. 

Tired of removing furniture to get the tree in, and want it to be the focal point of the room but not take up the whole room anymore.

I will get my fall things out right after Labor Day, and since I bought a couple of new things I will be heavily discarding a lot of my older fall things. It will be easy, as I only have one plastic tub of fall, much of it older, mix matched, and not at all sentimental (like the Christmas stuff tends to be). I intend to eliminate half of what I have in fall decor (not that the one tub is all that much), and it will give me the motivation to keep up with that process when the Christmas decorating comes around. 

And I'm sure everyone here has heard my new storing experiment/technique I started as I packed up this past January, so I'll spare the details, but I have stored each room's decor in that room, in furniture pieces like trunks and ottomans. Hoping that will save a lot of up and down steps and time and energy. I worked to try to not have to cut back drastically on my decor for Christmas, but make it quicker and easier. We'll see how it goes!

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I still do two trees but one is now down to a 5 foot size, and I want the main one in the living room to be that  size as well. 

Tired of removing furniture to get the tree in, and want it to be the focal point of the room but not take up the whole room anymore.

I will get my fall things out right after Labor Day, and since I bought a couple of new things I will be heavily discarding a lot of my older fall things. It will be easy, as I only have one plastic tub of fall, much of it older, mix matched, and not at all sentimental (like the Christmas stuff tends to be). I intend to eliminate half of what I have in fall decor (not that the one tub is all that much), and it will give me the motivation to keep up with that process when the Christmas decorating comes around. 

And I'm sure everyone here has heard my new storing experiment/technique I started as I packed up this past January, so I'll spare the details, but I have stored each room's decor in that room, in furniture pieces like trunks and ottomans. Hoping that will save a lot of up and down steps and time and energy. I worked to try to not have to cut back drastically on my decor for Christmas, but make it quicker and easier. We'll see how it goes!

Seems like an inspired storage plan, @Mominohio

Valued Contributor

I am a minimalist (except for my too-full closets) so I never did much Christmas decorating, but I do even less and less each subsequent holiday season.  I am down to one small tree, one wreath, and one garland.  I believe that I will donate the tree after next Christmas.

Nevertheless, I still admire the beautiful decorations (of others).  I send a few cards, thoroughly enjoy the music and movies, and deeply cherish all the wonderful memories associated with Christmas.  

Esteemed Contributor

In previous years I put a tree in almost every room of our home. Two years ago, we got two puppies so I purchased a few 4' and 5' trees to put on top of tables. Last year I was able to put one big tree up and the dogs were fine with it. I have been downsizing my decorating in the last few years mainly because I just can't do all of that anymore. (I also have been downsizing all the household stuff as well) I donate it to a few churches and charities and am glad that someone can use these things. I now pick a few rooms to really decorate and am satisfied with the look.

It does seems like this project is never ending but eventually it will all be done. My friend recently sold her 5 bedroom home and downsized to a 2 bedroom. It really made me think about all the "stuff" in all of these rooms. Eventually, I know we will downsize and II want to be ready for that new advneture. I'd rather do it in bits and pieces and not the fever pace that she did.  I want to see empty spaces on shelves and nothing requiriing updating. That's my goal. I'm crossing my fingers that it is accomplished sooner rather than later.