Honored Contributor

Re: Who else is up to their eyeballs in....

No Christmas decorations are coming out of the basement until I regain control of my dining room.   My anniversary and Christmas this year is a custom built hutch, which will be delivered on Monday.   To accommodate this new piece of furniture, I have emptied and gotten rid of two other large pieces of furniture, which has resulted in numerous boxes of dishes and other items packed in boxes waiting to be displayed in this new cabinet.   Essentially our kitchen remodel in July has turned into a much larger project than originally intended, but after 5 full months of having things out of place in this house, the end is in sight.   

Honored Contributor

Everything is up, and I'm content with how it all looks. I have to accept the fact that I'm not creative, but I do set out many items I've purchased from QVC over the years. DH must have put about 20 batteries in various VPH and BL decorations.
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

image.jpeg

This is is about as much energy I have right now!!! 🙈Seriously relaxing before decorating but my favorite little tree was in my storage closet and easy to get to! 

@homedecor1

Love your tree! I have two. I've told this story before, but back in the very early 1980's I got my first one as a gift, and it is different than others I'd seen, as the inserts where the lightbulbs go has poinsettias. It was made for me and while I was never fond of those trees, became one of my most treasured Christmas decorations. But I never saw me wanting any more.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and my teen son was working in a small auction house. He bought me a white one with red lights one year for Christmas. It so wasn't me, but you mom's know how it is. Within minutes, I made a complete vignette surrounding it. It now resides in the dining room every Christmas, and I use the red to build the rest of that room's decor around now each season. I would't take a million dollars for that 'not for me' tree now!

Now I find myself stalking people on facebook who have big collections of these trees. They are a hot item these days. Back in the 90's, when I managed thrift stores, we about couldn't give them away, but everything old is new again!

Noticed your cardinal Temp-tations too. I have every piece of that line she has offered, and was disappointed that she didn't add a piece or two to it this year. That and the Holly (another two piece and gone line) coordinates perfectly with it, so that is what is on my kitchen side counter for display and use this season. I like it because it is great for all winter. No hurry to put it away come January.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

No Christmas decorations are coming out of the basement until I regain control of my dining room.   My anniversary and Christmas this year is a custom built hutch, which will be delivered on Monday.   To accommodate this new piece of furniture, I have emptied and gotten rid of two other large pieces of furniture, which has resulted in numerous boxes of dishes and other items packed in boxes waiting to be displayed in this new cabinet.   Essentially our kitchen remodel in July has turned into a much larger project than originally intended, but after 5 full months of having things out of place in this house, the end is in sight.   

@RedTop

New kitchen and new hutch! What a wonderful year!

I'd be going bonkers with the boxes and disarry as well. Seems every project, whether making the bed or adding on to the house, seems to become way more involved than it should be!

Have fun filling that new hutch.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
Everything is up, and I'm content with how it all looks. I have to accept the fact that I'm not creative, but I do set out many items I've purchased from QVC over the years. DH must have put about 20 batteries in various VPH and BL decorations.

When I store my decor, I take the batteries out, of course, and was thinking tonight that when everything is done and the boxes packed up, I'll have to take a week to go around the house to get batteries in everything!

Honored Contributor

Put my fall things away yesterday. Next weekend the other things will go up. I need a week to get it together for decorating. It's a lot of up and down from the basement, even though I thought we downsized some. We did get a couple of items. Just 2 that I can think of but they are a bit larger (need to clear space for them). I'm working up the energy.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio, maybe the idea for storage is to build up. A room on the roof. LOL.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1, I got one of these this year since I missed a tree. So that's a new one for us this year. It looks so pretty!

Honored Contributor

I knew I wanted to go with an angel theme this year.  It took a little rearranging until it turned out like I wanted it to.

Respected Contributor

OK. I've done all I'm going to do. I guess you would never call me a minimalist. And I think my main fault as a decorator is that I like things to be symmetrical.

December 2015 026.jpg

December 2015 029.jpg

December 2015 032.jpg