Honored Contributor

What does your Christmas morning breakfast look like?

For as long as I can remember, we haven't had what could be described as breakfast on Christmas morning. 

I set the table up with a big plate of the cookies and candy I make, a big bowl of fresh fruit, some kind of coffee cake, and a pitcher of our own pressed cider and a pitcher of juice. 

We take a long time opening presents, take  breaks to munch on the food, and relax and enjoy each other's company. 

After the mess is cleaned up from unwrapping, mom and I start on a late afternoon meal, usually ham and some fixings.

I have a best friend who's family has always had biscuits and gravy late morning, and in the evening, it is just a platter of cheese, summer sausage and crackers.

What does your Christmas day breakfast usually look like?

Respected Contributor

Re: What does your Christmas morning breakfast look like?

Growing up, our holiday breakfasts were the same as Sunday mornings & what Dad always wanted:  bacon, fried eggs, toast with butter & jam, milk, & coffee for the parents.  Sometimes we had OJ, too, if Mom remembered to buy some frozen.  We were more interested in going to our friends' houses to see what they got than food.:-)

Honored Contributor

My family has always opened presents on Christmas Eve. It was easier for mom to get us all to church on time if we opened and played with new toys. A formal breakfast has never been a big thing in my cereal-eating family, but on Sundays and Christmas we go out for breakfast after church. We usually go to the same place we've been going for nearly 20 years.

Super Contributor

I always serve a breakfast casserole, homemade cinnamon rolls, and a special holiday blend of coffee.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Christmas breakfast has always been pretty low key in our house. A breakfast casserole or quiche, cinnamon rolls, some kind of Danish or coffee cake with juice and a holiday blend of coffee. 

In in our family, Christmas breakfast was rather light because dinner was served early afternoon. Once the presents were opened, there was a break for a light breakfast and then onto preparing Christmas dinner. 

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio. Pressed cider is what I miss from my in-laws, they lived in southeast OH and had cider every year.

About breakfast...I've talked about everyone works holidays, so Christmas Eve I make lots of little tidbits and pick up things from different eating places in the afternoon. Everyone gets to eat party type things before going to work.  Then, Christmas morning, everyone eats the leftovers for breakfast.  My husband comes home from work at 8am, then my daughter goes to work at noon.  

Dinner will be whatever I want to make. 

We have a good Christmas dinner when I know when all three or four of us will be home at the same time.

I know it sounds weird to most, but that is how we adapted to our situation.

Respected Contributor

We serve baked French toast, an egg casserole, fresh fruit of some kind, orange juice, coffee and champagne.

Honored Contributor

Except for when we were really young kids, we always opened  our presents and ated ham and cookies and candy and stayed up until about 4 in the morning so we had no breakfast.  Now just cereal as we go to a family dinner around 2.

Super Contributor

This year it will be blueberry croissant bread pudding. And maybe a chocolate one too! Bacon and whatever other delights I can come up with. I have 4 children, 2 are still little enough to want to play with their stuff. So I like to have something to entice them away. Last year they all wanted to eat after stockings before presents! (It smelled really yummy)
Esteemed Contributor

I make a breakfast casserole and take it to the daughter's house. We see the granddaughter open gifts from Santa while it is in the oven.....