Honored Contributor

Various styles of holiday decor, define it and what you wish for

I've noticed in several discussions here this CIJ season, that people are less than excited about the decor choices the QVC buyers brought us.

One thing that has been mentioned several times is that over the last year, people were asking for more "traditional" decor. 

Well, I don't really know what that means. And I wonder if Q hears us, but doesn't really understand a lot of what we are asking for, as we haven't done a very good job of defining things.

So lets toss it around a bit, and use this forum during this busy time of year on here, to help define (even if only your own definition of types) so maybe we understand each other better, and Q gets a better idea of what we want (since many of us think they kind of overall have missed the mark this year).

I'll go first and define what some of these terms mean to me, and anyone can agree/disagree or add their own definitions. 

'Whimsy' to me is the 'cutesy' stuff. A snowman or a Santa isn't always whimsy, but if it is more like an animated children's cartoon then it is.( If it is Victorian or vintage looking, it is not). Lots of Q's offerings fall under this category in my opinion. Much of what I see is what I would consider buying if I had young children in the home. Much of Mr. Christmas and Kringle Express offering fall under this category. The angels that have glitter in the bodies are this category to me as well. The new wrapped candy looking MG set of three pieces. Gingerbread themed items.

'Vintage'. Anything that is made to look old, whether it is mid century modern old or Victorian era old, or primitive looking old. I personally think Q doesn't offer enough of this category. Valerie brought a Santa and reindeer a couple of years ago that was glittered, and a set of three glittered children's scenes that I consider to fit into this category. A couple of the scenes under glass fit this as well as the various finials. And her house and church made of paper/cardboard are very vintage to me, as well as the whole caroler line.

'Traditional' This one I have trouble with, and think that Q might not get what we mean when we say this. For me it would be VPH fresh wreaths, her faux wreaths, tomorrow's upcoming TSV with trees, wreaths, garlands, and swags, Lenox pieces, etc. Old VPH stuff in plaid. 

'Elegant'. To me this is what Lisa Roberson was doing in her shows, and Valerie gives us an occasional glimpse of. Lots of white, things that look like they are from the high end catalogs. Gold and silver, mand in general things that look like they would be at a very expensive estate.

'Lodge, woodland or country'. I know a number of people have suggested that there isn't enough of this style of holiday decor. Rustic, wood, bears, deer, pine and greens, moose etc. 

As for my requests, it would be for more vintage (especially toward the Victorian, and not the MCM)and more elegant.

Anyone else want to expand upon the definitions or your requests for next year.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Various styles of holiday decor, define it and what you wish for

That pretty much some it up. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and I guess like they say " you can't make everybody happy".

Honored Contributor

I don't think I fall under any those.  I like large decorations as opposed to alot of small things and I HATE glitter.  I pretty much try to stick to a red and white theme so there is unity throughout the house.  The green comes in with the wreath, tree, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

That pretty much some it up. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and I guess like they say " you can't make everybody happy".

@sweetee2  Zulily may be able to. Smiley Happy  There is so much variety there.

Trusted Contributor

We like stockings on the fireplace and a REAL tree, decorated with lights ONLY.  Tree branches on the mantle with an old sheet, to look like snow.

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Years ago, the Q used to feature a lot of animated figures like Mr. and Mrs. Santa, angels, and other holiday figures.

My mom bought a Santa holding a candle and I have it now. I actually saw some at Lowe's last holiday season so they are still around.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Traditional for me includes the colors of red,white,green, silver, and gold. Motifs are Santas, Snowmen, gingerbread men. All of these can fit the whimsical category too. An example to me of whimsy would be Valerie's standing or sitting mice from last year which I own that are traditional in the sense of Christmas theme. They are Christmas mice that can relate back to Twas' The Night Before Christmas. They are whimsical because of how they are made with wire and the goofy expression on their faces.

My main tree is all Christopher Radko ornaments. My other trees have some vintage flocked and glass ornaments on them. This year I am doing a tree with all my mouse ornaments since I am obsessed! I have vintage melted popcorns that I hang all throughout the living room and hallways. My end tables and my artificial fireplace have the small figural vintage blowmolds on them. I also have a nativity from my mother and grandmother that are probably from the 1960's that I display throughout the house. I am under 40 and am obsessed with vintage Christmas decor. My husband and I don't have children but we keep with what I call a traditional Christmas theme. We have the reds and greens and golds. Our ornaments are Santas and Snowmen, gingerbreads and nutcrackers. Its overt Christmas but I love it. I can't get into silver and I would never do anything pastel for Christmas. No purple or pinks. I can't get into the brown color pallette either.  The room that we use for our office area has its own theme the Peanuts! and those are mostly Hallmark ornaments.

I think another way to get our interests across is to say there are some of us that want holiday decor versus decor that can be used year round and it seems Valerie and the other brands QVC has are bringing us the latter.   I would like to see more vintage that is well done. I do not want to see any more mercury glass and I don't want to see decor that is gimmicky and can be found at Walmart like inflatables or projectors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not doing much, if any, purchasing of holiday decor these days. I have enough to stock a store and for the past several years haven't even bothered to pull most of it out. 

For several years, my preference was toward the more traditional, then, for several years, I opted for the more glamorous. Now, I veer toward the more woodland and natural look. Increasingly, I try to decorate minimally with what's already sitting out or switching out a few things and then adorning them with seasonal motifs. I do still put out a few strictly 'Christmas' items, but not so many.

I draw a distinction between 'whimsy' and kitsch and feel that QVC offers a good bit too much of the latter... I've also never been a big one for tons of lights (flashing or otherwise) and glitter as part of my preferred holiday look and they usually way over-represent this area with their offerings.

Sadly, I don't think the issue is necessarily what we want to buy as much as it's what QVC wants to sell. Unfortunately, they seem to want to sell the same things and types of things year after year...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think my style can't be defined with one particular style. I use elegant pieces from LR alongside country-ish/traditional and have been trying to be cohesive with a woodland theme throughout our kitchen and livingroom.

I'm done with any whimsey...and the only pieces I have that might be considered such is our collection of Jim Shore which I don't plan on letting go of. I have a few of JS pieces displayed all yr round in our kitchen and the large garden cat in our livingroom 3/4 of the year. Even the JS snowmen can fit into the decor I put out from time to time.

I think a lot of folks mix particular styles of decor together depending on what makes them happy Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Winter Holiday wrote:

My husband and I don't have children but we keep with what I call a traditional Christmas theme. We have the reds and greens and golds. Our ornaments are Santas and Snowmen, gingerbreads and nutcrackers. Its overt Christmas but I love it. I can't get into silver and I would never do anything pastel for Christmas. No purple or pinks. I can't get into the brown color pallette either. 

---------------------------------------

Sounds like my holiday color choices!  I guess I am tradiational in that I use mainly green, red and gold.  Can not get into silvers, blues, pinks, purples plus no white feathers!. I do have a Santa collection, but no silly looking cartoon faces.  I use several plaid/checkered cloths and embroidered holly cloths that are off whites, red and green!