Respected Contributor

Re: Unusual holiday traditions

@RazorSharp wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

When I was growing up there would be very large gatherings at my Grandmother's home on Christmas Day.  We would have a sit down dinner.  There is a Polish word Oplatki, which is a wafer similar to Communion wafer.  It comes in sheets about 4"x6".  

After everyone one was seated, my Grandmother would take a wafer, break a piece off, turn to the person next to her and make a good wish for them (individualized to that person).  She would put the piece of wafer in her mouth and pass the wafer to that person to continue all around the table.  Even we as children participated in the ritual.

There is a religious background to the tradition, which I will not get into here.

@gmkb Oh my goodness, I forgot all about the Oplatek.  We used to do that tradition on Christmas Eve at my grandmother's house before Christmas Eve dinner.  We would all take a piece of the Oplatek from my grandmother's large piece, then we would all have to break off a piece of each other's then kiss each other on the cheek and wish each other Merry Christmas.  I can't believe I forgot about this beautiful tradition.  I have tears in my eyes remembering this.

@gmkb@RazorSharp ~ Wesolych Swiant!

Esteemed Contributor

Is it unusual to not have traditions?  We don't do much here at all.  That is our tradition - non tradition.  Our happy memories come from other things. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a dining room table that I decorate with various items. I have the Nativity, a Christmas tree, Santa, a Menorah, Advent candles, carolers, candles, snowmen and music boxes.  Even a large ornament that is a Kwansaa memorial stamp.  Also, a pickle to go on the tree.  Gold and burgandy balls going from small at the top to large on the botton with a gold spiral on top. However you celebrate the Holiday....I've got you covered!

Valued Contributor

What a great thread. I love reading all of these!  @Mominohio, I'm going to do the pine cones with the grandkids. 

We we always start out with a game of some kind. The favorite is the "right-left" game. Someone even ends up with a lump of coal in his or her box. 

Honored Contributor

Back in the pre-1960's days in poor parts of Oklahoma (this tradition goes back to the 1930's at least) churches would make up a small paper sack containing a few nuts, some little hard candies (the ones you see at holidays), maybe some ribbon candy, ALWAYS a few of those little chocolate cone-shaped candies with the white centers, and an orange.  

It wasn't much, but way back it would be all most kids got for Christmas.  THey would hand them out as you left after the Christmas program at church, and deliver some to families.

The only ones I ever saw or heard about had the top of the sack tightly twisted, not folded down like we would do today.  So it was sort of a handle--think of a pumpkin stem!  LOL!!!

We used to order the candies from the Vermont Country Store when we would have a big Christmas party, make up some of these and put them in a big basket by the door to hand out.  Everybody got one!  The mailman, the UPS man, guests, etc.  

The best thing is the smell:  orange, candy, chocolate all mixed in!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imadickens wrote:

@Spurt. I had friends who had the black eyed peas tradition! How do you prepare them? Could I add them to my veggie soup? I had forgotten about the movie thing until I saw yours! I like that movie, too, but my absolute must is A Crhistmas Carol! My ds and I watched it together every Christmas Eve! ( my kids are 9 years apart. My dd was either working or married when ds and I bagan this!) we cleaned the house in the morning. I'd put the pork roast in the oven, and we started the movie! It ran just long enough to cook the roast! He's married now, too, but he and I still love the story! He helps me with my Dicken's village, and we both get excited when we find something special concerning it!

@Imadickens

My sister loves blackeyed peas and usually she makes a big pot me and her friends, we all go to her house for lunch on New Year's Day and my sis also gives an extra portion for each of us to take home and enjoy.......  I never make them for myself.....but here's a receipe which sounds like my sisters......You can make them into a soup too

http://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-basic-black-eyed-peas-229062

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/217125/black-eyed-pea-soup/

Sounds like you have a lot of fun family times together!!! 

It's funny you mentioned the movie, A Christmas Carol.....after all the Christmas Eve festivities are over .....  I come home and a local station here always runs A CHRISTMAS CAROL the Alastair version near midnight......so I will put on my flannel nightgown make a cup of hot tea and watch the movie.....(for some reason my sis doesn't like the movie so we leave it out of our Christmas viewing when we are together....)   We do enjoy It's A Wonderful Life, The Bishop's Wife, Christmas In Conneticut......,

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Imadickens Lovely traditions you have.  You have the Pickle, rose and birds/nest can I suggest you look into the tradition of placing a spiderweb on the tree?  It might be a nice addition to your folklore theme.  We always had lasagna for christmas as it has Christmasy colors and is quick and easy to prepair.  We have added scandanavians to the mix these days so (and I will most likely mangle the spelling on these but here goes)...Swedish meatballs, Krum Kacka, Krusta Kacka and my favourites Ries Cram and Glogg make apperances.  Newest tradition is SCYPEing with the nephew on christmas day to open our stalkings.

Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Is it unusual to not have traditions?  We don't do much here at all.  That is our tradition - non tradition.  Our happy memories come from other things. 

I think that is a tradition in its own rite! Doing what pleases you each year can be very enjoyable. As much as I love tradition, they can be confining! When it's not possible to do everything I want, all my traditions, guilt can't set in, or at the very least sadness!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Ruby Laine wrote:

What a great thread. I love reading all of these!  @Mominohio, I'm going to do the pine cones with the grandkids. 

We we always start out with a game of some kind. The favorite is the "right-left" game. Someone even ends up with a lump of coal in his or her box. 

How do you play that game?

Respected Contributor

@athenian wrote:

@Imadickens  Hoppin' John is traditional New Year's Day dish in the south.  It's made with smoked hog jowls, rice, black eyed peas and collard greens.  As above, the black eyed peas are for health, and the rice for wealth.  These days I make it with bacon or ham, and have even used spinach rather than greens.  And the black eyed peas are canned.  I don't use a recipe, just throw it together.

Thanks! It sounds good...I grew up on southern cooking!