Frequent Contributor

What do you do with your regular decor when you decorate for the holidays?  Does it get stashed in the holiday boxes, or do you find other places in your home to display everything?   I usually hide my everyday things in an unused space in a closet or in empty drawers, and then hope I remember where I've put everything!  Surely there's a better way! 

Respected Contributor

I do exactly what you do - stash any regular decor in the closet and like you hope I remember where!  

Respected Contributor

Storage is a big problem here too.  We have no basement, no attic, no cubby holes.  This is one reason why I go through the house twice a year and sort through closets and things I am just not using and donate.

In the past, I would place my everyday things into the Christmas storage boxes when putting out the Christmas items.  I got tired of this too.  So, several years ago I went thru all my Christmas Stuff (I had a lot) and decited that if I could not use this with what I have out already in my home,  I am getting rid of it.  So, I incorporate my Christmas Decorating with what I leave out normally. It makes it much less stressful.  Let you imagine run...You will be surprized how creative you can become...Without being cluttered.

Honored Contributor

I empty my large kitchen hutch shelves and put these items into the cabinet from which I remove my gingerbread decor, so all of the kitchen items remain there.  The family room decor and some living room and dining room is stored in the family room in cabinets and drawers so I do the same here.

Garlands and wreaths are stored in bags  I bought here, labeled, and kept downstairs until I need them.

Plastic bins with lids are also a good place to store items.

Super Contributor

Bellabutterfly,,, GREAT idea.  I've so downsized (it still makes me sick) and this is a good idea to decorate 'around' what is already there.  This year I'll give it  a go.  I'm not promising anything, but sure love your idea.  Thanx!

Frequent Contributor

Great ideas!  I love the idea of storing each room's decorations in that room. That seems like it would be easy to decorate each room.  

I'm not sure if I have space in each room, but if I sort through some cabinets and drawers, I just might be able to make it work! 

I usually store everyhting in big bins that go up in the attic, but it's getting to be quite a hassle to get them down each year. i keep thinking there's got to be a better way!  

Honored Contributor

I took the spare bedroom closet and put a shelving unit in it.  All home decor goes in there.  My goal was to be able to see it in one glance.  I did this last winter.  Everything didn't fit, so I downsized stuff I was no longer in love with.  This winter, I will empty it and organize it by holiday.

Honored Contributor

We have a basement, so what I've been doing is before any Christmas decor comes out of the closet or basement, I go through and empty all the surfaces of decor items that I know I will be placing Christmas decor on. I fill several laundry baskets, putting extra dish towels in between for protection of delicate items, and carry those baskets down to the basement to store for the season.

Then, I bring out the holiday stuff, and put it up. 

When the decorating needs undone, I pack up and put away all Christmas, give the somewhat empty areas a really good cleaning, then bring the regular decor back up and place it.

My goal has always been to have open shelving units in the basement with space for all my unused at the moment decor, not boxed, but categorized and organized by type (say all flameless candles on a shelf, all kitchen items together, etc.) so I can change out displays and vignettes easily, mix and match things, and not have to dig through boxes for (and forget about) the things I have. I would still box up/put into tubs, the seasonal stuff.

My plan would be that once the shelving units were full, that was it. Something coming in? Something has to go out. And seeing it all at a glance would make the weeding out process easier. 

This plan may work after my son moves out and takes all his things with him. I think this house will breathe a huge sigh of relief (or perhaps collapse in on itself) when this happens, as we have accumulated so much stuff for him to start out housekeeping with!

Valued Contributor

I've depleted my regular decor to the amount I can handle without it overcoming me, so when I put up any seasonal decor, it's easy to put in one medium rubbermaid tub, except for the flower arrangement I have and that is placed in a large black bag.

I have a finished basement with two rooms, and the one that was supposed to be a bedroom is the storage area of all plastic bins and some dishware boxes. I couldn't even move around that room 5 years ago, and now I have it under control. If and when my daughter moves out, out goes 1/2 of the tubs and boxes. My son moved, but he left quite a bit of things, and his stuff and furniture takes up a wall (besides some furniture in the garage, tv and all that in another room and his bedroom). We redid the floors down there this summer and painted, so it gave me the biggest push to pare down. I now have some things in the closet mixed with luggage and extra coats. Then I have 8 tubs stacked neatly, 2 are fall decor, 4 are Christmas decor and I still have room to put more in there! I look forward to the day they take their stuff! 

I need someone how to tell me to simplify my kitchen and dining things. It's my biggest problem now.

Esteemed Contributor

Like some others, I generally "tuck" the seasonal stuff in and don't have a need to change much. 

Maybe I put my red tree on the porch soon!  Frost just got the morning glories and I'd love to make it pretty out there (though I just did put out a new rug and wreath).  Moles are eating the pumpkins we grew.  We could host a carnival game.

I do have a modest amount of garage/closet space that houses my stash.  I am lucky.

Cogito ergo sum