Respected Contributor

Share with me a Side Dish that will be a HIT with my family.

I need to bring a side dish - anything, it can be jello type salad or a full on baked side dish - or anything in between.

Our host (my brother lol) said WOW me.... he was joking but now I want to make something that everyone will love, maybe even want me to make each year.

Would LOVE to hear all your ideas  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: Share with me a Side Dish that will be a HIT with my family.

i don't know if a soup would be appropriate, but it certainly would be a switch from bringing a casserole or pie.  I make this every year at the holidays, sometimes for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and people go bonkers over it.  It is unique, elegant, and pretty simple to make for a soup:

Chestnut Soup with Spiced Cream

Trusted Contributor

Get a Laura Chenel's Goat Cheese log.

Get some pistachios and dried cranberries.

Chop up the pishachios and cranberries, mix them together. Roll the cheese log into this mixture to cover the log. You may have to hand-sprinkle some of the mixture on the log.

Put the log on a nice place and sprinkle any of the leftover mixture around the log for presentation.

Bring along some good crackers and cheese knife too.

The guests will ooh and ahhh, then scarf it up. Never fails!

Respected Contributor

Homemade macaroni and cheese.

Stuffed mushrooms.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

I make a broccoli and cauliflower casserole.  My family and friends love it and there are never any leftovers.  It is easy to make and you can assemble it the day before and bake it the next day just before you are ready to serve.   I tried to copy the link to the recipe but there was something in the html QVC didn't like and I couldn't get it to work.

If you Google McCormick Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole, all the ingredients and cooking instructions are listed.  Good luck with whatever you decide to make!

Honored Contributor

One of the cutest things I ever saw on a holiday table was Cranberry Freeze done in mini muffin tins (use baking cups) then unmolded and placed on a platter covered in curly kale to serve.   

The ingredients are:   1 cup sweetened condensed milk;  2  14 oz cans whole berry cranberry sauce;  8 oz container of Cool Whip, thawed;  14 oz can crushed pineapple, drained;   7 oz mini marshmallows;  and 1 cup chopped pecans.    Mix well and spoon into muffin cups.  Freeze until set.  Thaw about 10 minutes before serving.   

This can be done in a jello mold, glass or metal bakeware and cut into squares to serve, or frozen in larger size muffin tins.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KentuckyWoman, I went to the McCormick website and looked at that recipe.  It sounds delicious.  I think I'll make this as one of my Christmas side dishes.  Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

With all the heavy food of Thanksgiving a salad would be good.

Baby mixed lettuce with fresh mandarin oranges, avocado, pomegranate seeds and nice light rice vinegar dressing. 

Respected Contributor

@RedTop  I am going to google and find pics, that sounds awesome!!

@KentuckyWoman  my mouth was watering when I saw the pics - I bet everyone would gobble that up!