Honored Contributor

Real greens and wreaths, or fake ones?

If I had the money, I'd have real greens and wreaths in and outside my house every holiday season. I love the smell, the look, and the not having to store them the rest of the year. Simply dispose of them after the season, and get new next year.

It is cost prohibitive for me to do this, so I have a few fake ones. I like them well enough, but so wish I could just do the 'live' kind!

Do you have a preference?

Honored Contributor

Re: Real greens and wreaths, or fake ones?

My grandparents had a Christmas tree farm, so I'm used to having everything real. My family knows I will never have an artificial tree. BUT - I have lots of friends who do, and honestly, you can't tell the difference! It's so much easier to handle too. The wreaths and greens today are so nice, and the good thing is you CAN use them again the following year, and you don't have to worry about anything drying out. I do use artificial greens as candle rings. You can always burn a nice candle to get the "authentic" smell! I'm sure your home looks great the way you decorate it! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm just like you - prefer the real thing, but they're rather expensive considering I'll just throw them in the trash after Christmas.  So I use artificial.  Not thrilled about it, but that's the way it is.  I'm always on the lookout for artificial wreaths that are nicer than the ones I have yet still reasonably priced.

Respected Contributor

Fake. They make some really nice ones these days - lifelike and full. 

To change up the look, I just replace the items used to decorate them - be it ribbon, fruit , pinecones, Christmas balls, etc.

i know storage is always a challenge for holiday items, specially since they just seem to multiply on their own  - Woman LOL.

i also think it depends on what part of the country you live in... It is too warm in some parts for the real greens to hold up well... 

Have fun with your decorating with whatever you decide - it will look great either way you go... Smiley Happy

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

We'll do a mixture or real and fake.  This is the first time in my married life, 32 years, that I will be able to have real Christmas greenery because we always had cat.  Cats who would not sit by and just let a real tree or real wreaths or a real centerpiece live in peace....lol   Well my kitty is in heaven now.  We'll stick with the artificial trees but I plan to have a real centerpiece this year and real wreaths.  I love the smell of real Christmas greenery and this year we can have it. 

Valued Contributor

Since I have problems storing wreaths because they take up so much room, I have gone the way of buying a plain live wreath from Costco each year. Or maybe Lowes if the price is okay. It goes outside on the door, so I don't worry about needles falling, but I do have to mist it regardless of the weather out there.

I have artificial inside, it's safer and more practical. And easier to store flat.

Respected Contributor

Real. I would choose fewer real greens over more fake ones.

My mom always receives one or two real poinsettas every year that I love. They are reasonable in price and last the season.

Esteemed Contributor

Artificial.  No muss, no fuss, re-use.  And I agree, the quality of the fakes has improved tremendously in recent years.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I use mostly faux greens as I'm allergic to the pine sap.  I cannot resist though stuffing a few fresh cut branches in my faux garlands and wreaths just to add the scent.  I just make sure I wear disposable gloves as I gather my branches and places them....I look like I'm investigating a crime scene Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Only real for us!  I would rather have a small real tree than a giant fake one.  I also pick up a couple of wreaths at Costco and decorate them - one for the front door and one for inside.  Use a lot of ribbon and bows as part of the decor.