Super Contributor

I'm curious if  any of you have a tradition of serving oyster stuffing with your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey?  I never have; never will, but I know there are people who must like it.  I think others serve it just because they've done it so long they continue the tradition, even if no one enjoys eating it.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Valued Contributor

I do one small casserole of scalloped oysters.  They are really getting very expensive, not everyone likes them, and leftovers just are not as good.  The recipe uses a lot of butter and crackers, so it is also rather high in calories, but I do enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

no, we have a very traditional bread "dressing" as we call it, but lots of people in our area, maryland, do make oyster stuffing/dressing.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My DH from Ohio grew up on this stuff at Thanksgiving.  I can't even look at it much less make it.

Honored Contributor

We have oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving if we have a turkey.  Everyone in my family (kids included) loves it.  In fact they like it so much we have done away with mashed potatoes because everyone wanted more stuffing with gravy. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Oyster Stuffing

[ Edited ]

@Constance2@DiAnne@Mj12@sunshine45@Beauty$Junkie

I use Helen Corbitt's recipe for oyster stuffing, but I do not stuff the turkey with it.

Saute onions, garlic, parsley; when soft add oysters and cook until they curl.

I add Peppridge Farm (pork/bread) stuffing to the pan.  Add 1/4 c half and half and white pepper.

Then, I like to let it stay in the oven a long time... the longer the better.

Now, everyone in the family wants me to make oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving.  When the kids were little they turned their noses up at it. LOL

This and I also make old-fashioned giblet gravy!

Very RICH! and so yummy!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

My family always makes traditional southern cornbread dressing. But I finally had oyster dressing and it is delicious!!!  I like it when it's crispy-ish.  I ,however, love  pretty much any oysters!!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

We have oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving if we have a turkey.  Everyone in my family (kids included) loves it.  In fact they like it so much we have done away with mashed potatoes because everyone wanted more stuffing with gravy. 

No!  Sacrilege!  :  )

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

you are in texas!......i always thought that oyster stuffing/dressing was really more local to the delaware/maryland/virginia area. most people outside of the area hear about it and think it sounds pretty bad. lol

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45

Yes, born and bred a Texan!

However, my mom (who was a Texan) changed her tastebuds when they were moved to Delaware and Michigan!

I should mention that Helen Corbitt (the cookbook lady) was Neiman Marcus' head of the Tea Restaurants in their stores back "in the day!"  I think HC must have lived in areas other than Texas, don't you?

However, can't go without Mexican food long!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~