Esteemed Contributor

My home is such that the front faces the south and gets sun all day.  I would so like to display a wreath/garland of sort on the gate outside.  It would really look nice with the house. 

What can anyone recommend so that the item doesn't get too faded and ratty tatty after a short while.  I don't care for those plastic ribbons and won't buy them.  Help!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece

I don't know of anything that won't fade. The sun is pretty powerful.

I will be interested in what others come up with too.

Personally, I put a cheap WM (or something) wreath on my front door & toss it after a couple of years when it starts to look worn. I've gotten some nice ones for $ 20.00 or under that look pretty nice - especially from a little distance.

I save my nicer Valerie wreaths for the back door & inside.

Honored Contributor

There is a spray on protector, and I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it. I used to get some at Walmart and the last time, I got it at Joanne Fabrics (sp?). 

It comes in a can like spray paint, and can be put on wood or faux florals and the fabric bows and such, for outdoors. It helps protect from sun and water damage. It isn't a permanent fix, but does extend the life of things a little bit.

I too would recommend buying something inexpensive and just discard after a season or two, as anything exposed to the elements will weather quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions.  Looks like I will end up buying inexpensive items and then tossing them as they get shabby looking.  Oh well. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

My home has the same south facing so I I can relate. I wouls suggest that you purchase a plain/stock grapevine or willow wreath at Micaels or JoAnn's and spray paint it with outdoor paint for the color of the season. Make a bow from outdoor ribbon or have them do it for you. The last time I checked it was around $10.00.  This is the best compromise solution I have.  

Respected Contributor

I've seen some nice carved wooden wreaths at craft shows.  You could get something like that, paint it and seal it with polyurethane.  Otherwise, as others have suggested, just something inexpensive that you won't feel bad discarding.

Frequent Contributor

What about something metal?  Hobby Lobby had a pretty metal grouping of acorns that would look nice on a front door.  They also had a metal pumpkin with leaves that would also work.