Trusted Contributor

Re: Ordered my Christmas cards today!

I made my own last year from one of the Anna Griffin kits and got lots of compliments.   Most of my friends and some of the relatives still send cards.  some use online card services, like Jacque Lawson.  I enjoy getting those just as much as I enjoy getting ones in the mail. 

Honored Contributor

I love to get Christmas cards so I figure I better send them!  I buy the cards on sale after Christmas!  I always write a personal note in them.  I start right after Thanksgiving and just do a few a night instead of making it a large project that I never seem to have time for.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scotnovel ~ I've subscribed to Jacquie Lawson for a few years now ~ I love her cards!  Sometimes I like to just browse and enjoy the cards myself!

@SXMGirl ~ I love that idea!  Sending cards to those who are alone on the holidays is a wonderful idea!  I think I'm going to do the same ~ thank you for sharing!

It makes me kind of sad when I think about all the cards we used to send and receive.  Like so many of you, many of our relatives are gone now and the friends & family I send cards to don't ever seem to send them in return.  I understand you don't send them in order to receive them but in all honesty I like getting cards in the mail just like anyone.  I remember making a Christmas card for a friend (I thought she was a friend, anyway) and even decorating the envelope with rubber stamps.  It was beautiful, and I was so proud of my work.  When she mentioned she got my card she also asked if I had anything better to do with my time!  Of course, there was the ha-ha, I'm just teasing you remark right after but it still hurt.  I haven't made a Christmas card since.

Valued Contributor

I also love sending Christmas cards and wish more people would continue this tradition. It's one of my favorite from my childhood; we sent out so many, I was amazed.

Now that I'm a grandma, I send picture cards most years but will continue to send cards each year.

Honored Contributor

They do seem to be a thing of the past.  I'll probably only send to those who mail us a card this year.  My husband's siblings span a 22 year age difference and it's the oldest kids who send cards.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I too, still send Christmas cards, though less each year it seems.

Many in my family that we would send to have passed on, and many that we used to exchange holiday greetings with have stopped sending them and we no longer have contact with (nothing terrible, just our lives moved in different directions, and my last several cards were not reciprocated, so I'm taking that to mean they have just moved on). I have also wondered if many people are considering it unnecessary due to the use of paper, the environment etc., and no longer send them.

It makes me sad to not still get cards, it was one of my favorite parts about the holiday season. I want to keep sending them, but fear we may simply run out of people to send to in just a couple more years.

@Mominohio

I'm in the same boat as you, MOMINOHIO, many have passed on that I exchanged cards with and there's a sadness as the Christmas card list gets smaller and smaller........Or people you send them to don't reciprocate .....some I assume just don't want to be bothered. But I still like to send cards out and write a little personal note and mention what that person means to me...And on the lighter side, several of us still exchange cards between our pets too...usually something humorous that reminds us of the pet that will receive the card....LOL Cat LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”