Honored Contributor

Re: Neighborhood Christmas Decorations

Our neighborhood does very basic outdoor lighting - a few lights strung across the front of the house and some on bushes or trees.  I do love driving around to see the more elaborate decorations.  My nephew in Texas does his light show to music each year and I know a lot of work goes in the the planning and executing the show.  ENJOY whatever you see.  It is all so pretty and festive.

Honored Contributor

@Sassy7356 wrote:

Our neighborhood does very basic outdoor lighting - a few lights strung across the front of the house and some on bushes or trees.  I do love driving around to see the more elaborate decorations.  My nephew in Texas does his light show to music each year and I know a lot of work goes in the the planning and executing the show.  ENJOY whatever you see.  It is all so pretty and festive.

This reminded me of that show (I think its put on by HGTV?) where they go around looking at and showing all the best Chrsitmas decorations and another where they judge 3 different houses which are all spectacular. And a lot of them were in TEXAS! "The bigger the better, you can't get too big in Texas!Woman Very Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Very few decorations outside in our neighborhood...

Unless it's attached to a roof or clamped down with a lock, most things get stolen or damaged.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are areas in the older parts of Albuquerque where each resident lines his rooftop,  driveway and sidewalk with luminaries.   I've wondered what they do if someone won't or can't participate.   Anyway,  the city runs bus tours through these neighborhoods Christmas eve.   They have dozens of city buses leaving every hour.   Tickets went on sale at 8am this morning and were sold out by 11:30am.

I went one year with my parents,  and it was really beautiful. Santa Fe does something similar on Canyon Road which is solid art galleries in very old Adobe buildings.  They have buildings dating back to the 1500s.  Street is winding and goes uphill. 

20161125_234236.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the lights  too.  Towns near me light their parkway trees. One of the towns keeps the lights up until early February. 

My town lights six huge pines at the intersection behind my house.  I can see the lights through my back windows.  Unfortunately I can also hear the generator from my bedroom window.

(I'm hearing the Christmas music from the gas station across the street behind my house in my bedroom all night long )

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Sounds lovely!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Do they put candles in the luminaries or are they somehow electrified?  They're beautiful but I'd be afraid of fires.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr  Most people use real paper bags with sand in them to keep them from tipping or blowing away,  and real candles.   I've never heard of them starting a fire. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

New neighbor, beautiful Christmas decorations.  Love to look outside at night.  

Honored Contributor

One of the Milwaukee suburbs has a street named Candy Cane Lane, and if you live on it, you had better decorate.