Respected Contributor

Re: MY KITCHEN HUTCH AND KITCHEN TREE

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

What a wonderful collection!  A true labor or love!!  How long does it take for you to decorate?

@AKgirl2 wrote:

What a wonderful collection!  A true labor or love!!  How long does it take for you to decorate?

@AKgirl2  The kitchen was finished in a few weeks, I began right after Thanksgiving then I moved on to the living room and dining room, but everything was finished by Christmas Eve. Smiley Happy

How long do you leave your Christmas decorations up?  I love Christmas so, and get so sad when taking everything down.  I do leave the candlesticks in windows...we only have about 6 hrs of daylight (now), so the glow from the candlesticks is warm and welcomingSmiley Happy

@AKgirl2

Boy, those of us who complain about winter darkness have to learn some perspective!  How do you ever get used to such short daylight cycles? I have some cousins that live in northern Alberta, and their days must be short right now, but yours even more so.

Have you lived elsewhere, with more 'normal' day/night cycles and if so, was it hard to get used to where you are now?

Hi @Mominohio ~ I'm originally from NY.  Moved to UT and lived there 18 yrs.  After divorce, moved to AZ then onto AK to be close to family.  I have one son, whom I've been blessed with and am thankful for every day.  His job has taken him to AZ and AK.  Alaska is so different in many ways and the extremely long days and nights are something many people have difficulty with.  It certainly has wreaked havoc with sleep.  I don't know how many more moves I have in me (this one was a doozie) as moving to or from AK is difficult and a huge expense.  For now, I'm thinking a move is in the distant future... 

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@AKgirl2  The kitchen was finished in a few weeks, I began right after Thanksgiving then I moved on to the living room and dining room, but everything was finished by Christmas Eve. Smiley Happy

How long do you leave your Christmas decorations up?  I love Christmas so, and get so sad when taking everything down.  I do leave the candlesticks in windows...we only have about 6 hrs of daylight (now), so the glow from the candlesticks is warm and welcomingSmiley Happy

@AKgirl2

Boy, those of us who complain about winter darkness have to learn some perspective!  How do you ever get used to such short daylight cycles? I have some cousins that live in northern Alberta, and their days must be short right now, but yours even more so.

Have you lived elsewhere, with more 'normal' day/night cycles and if so, was it hard to get used to where you are now?

Hi @Mominohio ~ I'm originally from NY.  Moved to UT and lived there 18 yrs.  After divorce, moved to AZ then onto AK to be close to family.  I have one son, whom I've been blessed with and am thankful for every day.  His job has taken him to AZ and AK.  Alaska is so different in many ways and the extremely long days and nights are something many people have difficulty with.  It certainly has wreaked havoc with my sleep cycles😕  

I've always thought I'd love to experience those really long daylight type days, but I bet it is hard to sleep. I would want to keep going because of the light. 

Since you were in the 48 for so long, is it odd to know you can't just hop in the car and go a couple of states over for a quick trip? We think nothing of planning little mini vacations a state or two away, and I think if I was in AK it would be a while before I would stop thinking...."Hey, lets head over to PA to see Gettysburg or lets head down to Florida for a few days at Disney", then just hop in the car and go! I bet there are a lot of adjustments to be made when moving so far! But so glad you are with family, that is wonderful (not to mention Alaska is an adventure all on it's own!).

@AKgirl2

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@AKgirl2

Hi @Mominohio ~ I'm originally from NY.  Moved to UT and lived there 18 yrs.  After divorce, moved to AZ then onto AK to be close to family.  I have one son, whom I've been blessed with and am thankful for every day.  His job has taken him to AZ and AK.  Alaska is so different in many ways and the extremely long days and nights are something many people have difficulty with.  It certainly has wreaked havoc with my sleep cycles😕  

I've always thought I'd love to experience those really long daylight type days, but I bet it is hard to sleep. I would want to keep going because of the light. 

Since you were in the 48 for so long, is it odd to know you can't just hop in the car and go a couple of states over for a quick trip? We think nothing of planning little mini vacations a state or two away, and I think if I was in AK it would be a while before I would stop thinking...."Hey, lets head over to PA to see Gettysburg or lets head down to Florida for a few days at Disney", then just hop in the car and go! I bet there are a lot of adjustments to be made when moving so far! But so glad you are with family, that is wonderful (not to mention Alaska is an adventure all on it's own!).

@AKgirl2

@Mominohio ~ Funny, I always tell people AK is so far away from everything, especially by car that I might as well live on the moon!

When we lived in NY we spent many years going to FL during the winter, as my parents retired there.  Living in UT we were surrounded by the most beautiful national parks and states.  In AZ, the Grand Canyon was 5 mins from our residence.  So to answer your question, yes I miss hopping in the car to see something other than sights indigenous to this area.  I grew up very close to water and beaches and miss that so much.  They have thousands of miles of shoreline here, but nothing that resembles the beaches I know.   Alaska is beautiful in many ways and I know it's a destination vacation for many, as well as on people's bucket lists for places to visit.  It is a true adventurer's, hunters and fishermans paradise...I'm none of those, neither is my son, but he loves to hike, camp, go canoeing and kayaking.

Honored Contributor

Love the deer in the tree and the gingerbread fence.  How cute!  HeartHeartHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl

The reindeer with the jingle bells around their neck (third shot down) where did you get those? I L O V E them!!!

So much time and talent here! I'm impressed beyond words!

@mousiegirl

@Mominohio,

Same here.  Love those jingle bell deer.  They really got my attention.

I agree re: so much time and talent mousiegirl has. 

@Hooty, I agree with you and wonder where mousiegirl gets the energy to do all of her decorating.  I feel tired just imagining myself doing all of it.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl

The reindeer with the jingle bells around their neck (third shot down) where did you get those? I L O V E them!!!

So much time and talent here! I'm impressed beyond words!

@mousiegirl

@Mominohio,

Same here.  Love those jingle bell deer.  They really got my attention.

I agree re: so much time and talent mousiegirl has. 

@Hooty, I agree with you and wonder where mousiegirl gets the energy to do all of her decorating.  I feel tired just imagining myself doing all of it.  :-)

@SHOPR  Decorating doesn't tire me, but cleaning the house certainly does, lol, drudgery, whereas decorating is creating and I love that, apparently need that. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, House cleaning is so tiring, isn't it?  And when I finally (rarely these days) have that feeling of aaaah, it's all done and everything is clean and in order, in no time it's time to do it all over again.  :-(

I think I finally viewed all of your photos.  What a wonderful job you did this year!!!  I hope you've enjoyed it and will continue to enjoy what you'll leave up for a while yet.  :-)

Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing @mousiegirl you have great decorations and a real skill for putting it all together. Glad you enjoy decorating as do I. It must be spectacular in person to view your displays. 

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl

Love it all!!!  You have done such a beautiful job and so very talented.  I loved the deer rearend...lol.!!!

Honored Contributor

@hullie   Here is the hutch from a few years ago, loved this so much, maybe one day I can duplicate it.  Please let me know if you can see all of the pictures. Smiley Happy