Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone set up a Christmas Village?

Your village is magnificent!

Valued Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

What a beautiful setup! You sure do have the patience to make it so pretty!

I sold all my Christmas Dept 56 a few years ago. It was just too much for me to store.  I have one Halloween Mickey Mouse house left, my daughter set it up so that's why it's out right now. At least, it's only one box to repack.

Esteemed Contributor

About 8 years ago I got into Christmas in the City buildings.  I bought a lot one year when a store was going out of business.  I may put a few out each year, but not all of them.  I don't really have the room.  Honestly, I wish I had never bought them in the first place.  I have looked online and they certainly have not gone up in value.  I hate to just give them away though.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma - your display is absolutely gorgeous!  Wow!

I used to set up a village, but really didn't have the room to continue doing it.  I recently saw a really cute idea on Pinterest though, on decorlove's page, that has me considering taking the plunge again.  It uses a folding ladder as the base of the display, so cool.

this-is-a-little-different-but-is-such-a-unique-idea-for-those-with-limited-space-you-can-create-a-space-to-display-your-christmas-village-scene-nutcrackers-music-boxes-etc-a-simple-old-ladder.jpg

Trusted Contributor

When the kids were young, I collected the Dept. 56 North Pole village. After awhile, it just got too expensive to keep up with and time consuming to put up. It's long gone and these days, I wouldn't have the room to display it or the time or energy to deal with it. I also had the It's A Wonderful Life village that I believe was sold each year at Walgreens. That one I wish I still had. I loved that one. 

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma Your village display is amazing.  We have the Holiday Lane houses from Original Snow Village, but we don't display it every year.  I keep thinking that I will develop some vignettes for individual houses so that I can use the houses in several different rooms, but then I get busy and forget about it for another year.

Trusted Contributor

When the kids were young, I collected the Dept. 56 North Pole village. After awhile, it just got too expensive to keep up with and time consuming to put up. It's long gone and these days, I wouldn't have the room to display it or the time or energy to deal with it. I also had the It's A Wonderful Life village that I believe was sold each year at Walgreens. That one I wish I still had. I loved that one. 

@Nataliesgramma, your village is stunning. Just beautiful!

Respected Contributor

I forgot that I also have a village of Slatkin luminaries.

Slatkin Village photo SlatkinVillage_zps4abe5c7e.jpg

Honored Contributor

I ran out of room for my Dept. 56 Christmas village, so now I just do a skating scene with accessories instead of the houses.  I'll try to find a picture from last year.

Honored Contributor

I have a "pie safe" in the greatroom from the late 1890's that I put a Dickens Village in.