Honored Contributor

Re: Do you still send out Christmas cards?

I still send mine to a small, select group of people, it is significantly smaller than in years past as people's kids get older and they no longer send the family/kid photo cards.

I send mine first, I do not wait to get one.  I would say 75% of this list send me a card back or send me a card before I get mine out.  I don't send cards just to get one back.

But I am happy people still send cards.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Like many of you, I still send cards, but fewer than in the past.

Many I sent to have passed on, and I miss sending and receiving cards from them. 

Many people who were in our lives when my son was growing up have now moved out of our lives. I have continued to send cards to them for three or four years, without a reply from several of them, so I will probably be dropping them from the list. We have no contact anymore, as kids have grown up, and they have moved on, and I take it as a sign it is time to move on as well.

If I have someone in my life that I do still see and interact with, and they don't send cards, I will still do so, because there is still a relationship there, and I want them to know we are thinking of them.

I have saved the cards from my most special relatives that are now gone, and I put them out each year in a basket, and when I'm alone I sit are re read each one, and remember all the times we spent together, and how much they are missed. It is kind of a sad tradition, but something that I love to do.

Honored Contributor

I only send cards that say Merry Christmas.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

I tried to limit my list and wouldn't you know, those I didn't send to would call and say they were concerned that we were sick or died since they were so used to receiving cards from us! We are in our mid 70's and 80's and I don't enjoy writing notes due to my arthritis. Now I just wrtie one or 2 lines. I never was a " Christmas letter " type. Guess I will send my usual 30 cards or maybe less and by pass nieces and nephews whom I communicate with throughout the year. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes!!!!  I absolutely love cards.  I am a big card person.  I love giving them and I love getting them.  It is nice to hear from someone by e-mail, sure, but there is nothing like the written word.  Do you keep e-mails?  I don't.  But I do keep cards.  

I seem to send a few less each year, but I sit at the kitchen table and write them out while playing Christmas music!  And DH will come and even write a few out to a couple people, too!  It's a tradition and one I don't plan on giving up as long as I am able to write and pay for stamps!!!  I am big on tradition!!!  It makes me happy!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper

How wonderful!!!  That's just awesome!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  I enjoy sending cards - I use special pens and buy holiday stamps for the job.  My husband and I both sign every one (as do the dogs, but I have to hold the pen).  I love getting them in the mail, but it seems as if fewer come each year.

I also use it as an opportunity to thank the workmen that do maintenance on my house (you know, fix the furnace down in the crawl space, replace plumbing fixtures, get up on the roof).  I couldn't do without them, and good ones are hard to find.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I've cut way back on the number of Christmas cards that I send.  I usually send about 25 cards now.  I think about not doing it every year, but I like to receive them so need to send them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Yes I do, and I will continue to do so until I have no one to send cards to.  Those within my circle have not reduced their lists, or stopped sending cards because of costs, nor will I.  I truly have an obsession with Christmas cards, and literally have thousands in a drawer right now, but I only buy when they are on sale.   I like having a variety of different cards with wreaths, holly, trees, winter scenes, decorated lighthouses, cardinals, Santa, and snowmen, but they all must say Merry Christmas.   I buy my cards from Current, as they are all made in the USA.   I will actually start addressing my cards next week, and will get moms cards done before Thanksgiving.   

Respected Contributor

Yes, we still do.  The list keeps growing as the young ones marry and start their families.