Regular Contributor

Re: Do you still send out Christmas cards?

I haven't sent Christmas cards for years.  I used to send to the older relatives since they loved getting cards, but they are all gone now.  I do send birthday cards to my kids, in-law kids, and of course the grandchildresn.  I'll call my friends to wish them a happy birthday - gives us a chance to catch up.

Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Yes, I still send cards.  I love to do it.  I will say that over the years I have significantly cut back on the number I mail.  Mostly I just send cards to friends and family we don't get to see that often.  Another tradition that seems to be falling by the wayside. 

Woman Sad

I do that too.  I write a little note inside each card trying to cover everything that happened in the past year.  Include some updated pictures if I have any.

Honored Contributor

We send out a few mostly to friends who live in The Netherlands . This year there will be one less on our list. My Mother-in-Law who lived near us passed on Oct.10.

Tell this story every year: Had a relative whose DH worked second shift. On TG after he would go to work she would do the Christmas Cards. Their card was the first to arrive. It was a wonderful tradition.

My dad sent out probably hundreds of cards and really enjoyed it. Miss those days.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I make all my cards.  I send out 25-30 Christmas cards each year.  I have many nieces and nephews who also have children.  I make and send each of them birthday cards.  I also make and send a couple of card for other times of the year (i.e., Valentine's day, etc.).  I love to send cards and I love to receive them.  I'm not a big fan of e-cards, mainly because I fear a possible computer virus.  So if I get one.  I don't open it.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I make all my cards.  I send out 25-30 Christmas cards each year.  I have many nieces and nephews who also have children.  I make and send each of them birthday cards.  I also make and send a couple of card for other times of the year (i.e., Valentine's day, etc.).  I love to send cards and I love to receive them.  I'm not a big fan of e-cards, mainly because I fear a possible computer virus.  So if I get one.  I don't open it.

I just bought a cuttlebug and card making supplies. I'm not feeling too great but I'm looking forward to trying this. I used to make jewelry but it causes too much hand and neck pain. Card making looks fun. 

Respected Contributor

DH had a great idea a couple of years ago.  We used to write a Christmas poem (instead of a synopsis of how great our year was).  He got a new cell phone and we changed over our antiquated land line, so he came to the conclusion that a Christmas phone call was much better than a card. Calls are free!!  Cards cost about $3.00 to $4.00 to send.  So now, when he gets a card, he makes a call.  It's fun for him - catches up with old friends and they chat for hours. Maybe you don't have a cardboard "memory", but we both make much better memories on the phone.

Respected Contributor

Interestingly, we still get quite  a few Christmas cards each year, despite my not having sent them out since the mid-70's.  Among the cards are the newsletters reporting on the year's events and milestones.

I would rather call the person, near or far, and hear their voices  than open a card.

I Save the cards to cut the pictures on the front and attach to my Christmas gift bags with other holiday ornaments tied to the handles ( as previously posted ).

If you send out " glitter " cards, understand that while they are beautiful, they make a mess: getting on hands and face; wherever they're opened, they'll leave telltale droppings on the counter/ floor / rugs for pets to find.....

Some folks love them; others leave them or toss them.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I don't anymore, and have not for years.  Get very few each year now.

This was always my most hated Christmas task, so it was easy for me to bag it.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I do. I just bought my Christmas Stamps yesterday. I send out about 40 every year. I don't count to see who sends a card back. I don't wait for their card to come in. I just send them out to the people that I want to know that even though we are all so busy & I may not see them often, I still think of them. Mine do say Merry Christmas. I hope they don't offend anyone, but it's the Christmas season that I am celebrating, so that is what I send out.

Valued Contributor

I already have my Christmas cards purchased and I will work on them over the week of Thanksgiving.  When I get one, it's like getting a little hug, so I like to think of it as sending out hugsHeart