Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you decorate your kitchen?

[ Edited ]

Yes. I have a ton of Winterberry dishes, casseroles,  and accessory pieces. In November, I put all the Fiesta dishes away and put all Winterberry in the kitchen (I do keep my red Fiesta pieces out because it's such a nice contrast with the Winterberry; I use both red Fiesta and Winterberry casseroles and serving dishes on the Christmas table. The China cabinet looks very festive with the Winterberry and small white lights throughout the shelves. Red runners on the hutch (the hutch is well over 100 years old; it was my great-grandmother's) and more Winterberry. I have Christmas and cookie cookbooks on the very top of the hutch with my grandmother's very old, red flour tin and a red basket. 

Winterberry candleholders on one side of the kitchen counter. BELIEVE blocks and a Santa on the other side of the counter. We have a gorgeous brass sleigh and deer above the end cabinets in the kitchen. The Winterberry sleigh is on the other side. A string of pastel lights turn on as they're plugged in a switch on the wall....they rather look like Northern Lights showing from the ceiling. Also above the cabinets is a pretty holiday garland (so far the cats haven't gotten up there to play with it; they did last year). Pretty Currier & Ives salt and pepper shakers sit on the wooden stove hood. A pretty lined wicker basket of vintage cookie cutters (also my grandmother's) sits on the kitchen counter.

The chandelier above the sink is decorated in greens and balls. Candles on the sill of the large window at the sink. The two corner cabinets go up to the ceiling and each cabinet is decorated with a long evergreen swag with a gold ribbon and one gold ball.

There's a large picture of Santa on the wall behind the kitchen table. That wall is painted in Cranberry Wall and it's the perfect Christmas red for the hutch and the picture. 

We have a large white tree in the kitchen next to the French doors. It has blue and white lights and I decorate it with blue balls. That's it. Nothing else. When I was a child, my mother always had a white tree for Christmas and I hated that thing. But several years ago, I decided I want a white tree in my kitchen. And so the Tacky White Tree was born. I have a pretty blue tree skirt for the tree. The tree is white, the tree is tacky, the tree is mine. And I love it. (DH calls it the PennState tree.)

The chandelier above the kitchen table is decorated in greens. Two gorgeous Christmas balls (with cats) hang from the chandelier. Always a pretty Christmas tablecloth on the table (but no centerpiece because of the cats in the house....that's just asking for trouble). I do have a pretty centerpiece for the Christmas Dinner table, but it stays in the basement when we're not using it....again because of the cats.

On New Year's Day or when we take down the Christmas decorations, I also take down the decorations in the kitchen. The Winterberry stays out until around the end of February or so. And then I put away the holiday tablecloths and keep a pretty winter tablecloth on the table. By the end of February, I'm tired of winter and ready to welcome spring, even though I know warm weather is still a couple months away.

It takes a week or so to have the kitchen "dressed" for the Christmas holidays. It takes me a full day to unpack the Winterberry things that I've collected. I enjoy cooking and baking and having a kitchen that shows my love for Christmas is important to me. I'm over 60 and I don't know how long I can keep decorating, but I do enjoy my holiday kitchen.

Valued Contributor

Pam Sue, Your kitchen decor sounds stunning, very festive and very welcoming! That's got to take some time to put together. We have 4 cats, so I complelely understand working around them, and keeping them safe. I love having touches of color like the red basket and other pieces you mentioned that can be left out throughout the winter and beyond. I hope you'll try to post some photos, It's easy now, right from your albums, as I'd be thrilled to see some of your beautiful home!

My kitchen decor is very simple anyway, but compared to yours, it's even more so. I might post pics myself when I'm finished, but it depends how things turn out, and how much I actually end up doing. I'm 60years old myself, but health issues have me feeling lots older than that lately. I'm starting decorating today, so have fun if you are too! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving! pinky

Honored Contributor

Yes, every room in our house. I decided to do one room a day. That keeps me a little less stressed out.

Esteemed Contributor

Not very much in my kitchen. I have one wreath, a fruited pedestal with a candle on top, and two battery operated candles behind the glass in two of my cupboards. Less is more in my kitchen ~ however, if you saw how many decorative trees are in my bay window, you'd wonder if I even knew the meaning of "less". LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I have enjoyed reading all of your decorating ideas for kitchens. I like the idea of a winter theme, one that could be enjoyed till spring. It suddenly turned very cold, and I am ready for bright colors and lights to warm up my home. I have an Annalee Santa and Mrs Santa (with happy faces; some look a little grim to me) I put in the kitchen and a pretty wreath and Jim Shore Santa. 

Honored Contributor

I have a bookshelf in the kitchen that I put luminaries on.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we decorate our table with our Christmas dishes, and a runner and centerpiece, as well as decorative Christmas towels.We also have a lit topiary in the corner of the room and it just makes everything else look really good and festive! We do not have a dining room but have a large kitchen!

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Yes.  I have sliding doors off my kitchen onto a deck and I put a wreath on the sliding doors.  I also decorate my back deck with pre-lit garland all around the railing and I put a pre-lit tree in an urn out there along with a holiday doormat.  That way if I'm looking out the sliding doors or the kitchen window, I can see the back outside decorations.

Inside I of course have stuff on my kitchen table, I have holiday dish towels and potholders and I have a snowman cookie jar and a few other things on my counter.  I like to take various crystal bowls and apothecary jars and fill them with x-mas bulbs and set them around.     

I love that you decorate your back deck.  I had an new on ground pool with a wrap around deck on it put it last spring.  There's fencing all around the pool and it's all just off that back patio and dominate the view from the kitchen greenhouse window and slider.  I've been pondering putting lights and garland and maybe even a tree out there and I think you just gave me the nudge I need!

@Buck-i-Nana

Did you do it or are you going to?  I think it would be great.  And YOU can enjoy it.  I always used to do our front porch but I can't see that at all.  One year I was standing at my kitchen sink and it came to me that I should do the back deck, that I can see and enjoy!   

Honored Contributor

Came back to thank you all AGAIN for the terrific ideas!!!

We're having the electrical wiring in our bouse updated, and my kitchen has become my haven for the next week, and the cozy, kitchy decorations and flameless candles are SO

comforting in the noise, mess and confusion!

Hope ypu all have a wonderful Holiday Season!

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva - I haven't done it yet, still hoping to though.  I got sick right after Thanksgiving and it's only the past couple of days that I've really begun to be up to doing anything.  I usually have everything done by now, but I only have my trees up and a few wreaths so far.

If I get it done this year, I'll try to get a good picture to post.  If not this year, maybe I can pick up some garland and wreaths after Christmas on discount for next year.