Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you decorate your kitchen?

The last few years I've had a ceramic Christmas tree on the kitchen table.  Its the kind that it is in two pieces, lit by a regular light bulb, but has little plastic birds on it that are lit from the single bulb shining through.

I usually have a snowman tealight holder on the stove.  The plate beneath the snowman is inscribed Joy To The World. 

And I purchased a set of the Christmas dishes and serving bowls from Wal-Mart last year.  So I do decorate my kitchen.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  I have sliding doors off my kitchen onto a deck and I put a wreath on the sliding doors.  I also decorate my back deck with pre-lit garland all around the railing and I put a pre-lit tree in an urn out there along with a holiday doormat.  That way if I'm looking out the sliding doors or the kitchen window, I can see the back outside decorations.

Inside I of course have stuff on my kitchen table, I have holiday dish towels and potholders and I have a snowman cookie jar and a few other things on my counter.  I like to take various crystal bowls and apothecary jars and fill them with x-mas bulbs and set them around.     

Super Contributor

Yes we do. The staircase to the second floor is in the eat-in part of our kitchen. It has spindles on it, which was to prevent our children from falling through when they were younger. I weave green garland through the spinldes, decorate the garland with battery operated lights and beaded garland, and then decorate the green garland with kitchen/cooking/baking themed ornaments. Have been an ornament collector for quite some time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
That sounds so cute and festive.; I love that idea. I think I might decorate my kitchen this year because I have a real kitchen again. My kitchen is red and white anyway, so it won't take much.; I have gorgeous, red hobail goblets and I plan to put those in the window. Saturday my bff and I plan to go to the dollar store to pick up some festive items to decorate with.
Honored Contributor

YES!  I do decorate my kitchen......  It's a wintry scene with snowmen and red cardinals an icy picks and snowflakes.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I keep looking up at my pretty Christmas shelf, waiting for the candles to light. I'm using all 4 of my really beautiful q candles and two of the Costco candles. 

Respected Contributor

I used to live in an old-fashioned home with three fireplaces. I thoroughly enjoyed decorating for Christmas. My kitchen was beautiful, too.

Now I'm in an apartment, and I've scaled back. However, I just put up white LED lights along my balcony railings (it's twice as big as regular balconies), and I think it looks pretty stunning!

Respected Contributor

Once upon a time, when I was younger, had more energy and my elderly mother lived with us, I went all out. 

Kitchen had a small "kitchen tree" in the bay window with lights that looked like hard candies, fake popcorn/cranberry roping and tons of kitchen themed ornaments.  Placed around the base were my Dicken's Village bakery, butcher shop and poulterer to add to the theme.

Mom had all the Christmas dishes, glassware, towels, mugs, you name it, so I dragged it all up from the basement.

Now I don't do anything, I burned out.  LOL

Denise
Respected Contributor

Two years ago, I went NUTS (for me) by getting a new tree and ornaments, which I do about every 10 years.  I put it up and it was the most beautiful tree ever.  Last year I didn't put it up for a couple of reasons.  This year I'll put it up again, hopefully this weekend.  I've never done anything but put up a tree.  My house is the only one on the street that has no lights outside, but I don't care.

Do what you enjoy and don't feel guilty.  It sounds as if you want to do something but not something that takes a lot of work.  Think about what that might be, if anything, and do as you please.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Yes.  I have sliding doors off my kitchen onto a deck and I put a wreath on the sliding doors.  I also decorate my back deck with pre-lit garland all around the railing and I put a pre-lit tree in an urn out there along with a holiday doormat.  That way if I'm looking out the sliding doors or the kitchen window, I can see the back outside decorations.

Inside I of course have stuff on my kitchen table, I have holiday dish towels and potholders and I have a snowman cookie jar and a few other things on my counter.  I like to take various crystal bowls and apothecary jars and fill them with x-mas bulbs and set them around.     

I love that you decorate your back deck.  I had an new on ground pool with a wrap around deck on it put it last spring.  There's fencing all around the pool and it's all just off that back patio and dominate the view from the kitchen greenhouse window and slider.  I've been pondering putting lights and garland and maybe even a tree out there and I think you just gave me the nudge I need!