Respected Contributor

Re: Do you decorate your kitchen?

@ciao_bella wrote:

I don't really Christmas decorate the kitchen, but I do have a window sill above my kitchen sink and put two battery taper candles on each side and in the middle goes a battery operated lit winter scene that I purchased here at the Q.  It looks nice, especially in the evening when it gets dark and it stays there the entire winter.

Sounds decorated to me!  Sounds lovely too.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

We have a red brick fireplace in one corner of our kitchen, and we always have a seasonal wreath on the red brick wall above it. I sometimes decorate the wreath with miniature kitchen utensils.

Sometimes we also put Christmas cards on the mantle or suspended from it.

We USED to put our Christmas Village on the mantle, but Buddie TC (The Cat) is a very severe critic, and did not like that scheme, so we abandoned it for the time being.

My dream is to have a kitchen large enough to accomodate a small tree. 

Although my kitchen floor plan is a good size, the walls are very broken up by doors, windows, cupboards and appliances. Some day, a little Christmas Tree......

We had a fireplace in the kitchen when I was a kid and I loved it so much.  We used to hang a wreath on it as well.  It didn't have a mantel, it had wrought iron hooks embedded into the mortar.  That's where we hung our stockings.

My cats are pretty good about not bothering my Christmas decorations, but to ensure any occasional curiousity I use funtack to keep any breakables safer.

Honored Contributor

I put a fresh wreath in my kitchen windows - two of them.

I have a Santa cookie jar on my island.  I just bought the Cracker Barrel gingerbread house last week.  I am going to put some Christmas candies in my apothecary jars.  That will look nice.

Trusted Contributor

Our kitchen opens up into our hearth room, so I decorate both.  I use a gingerbread theme, mostly.  I even have a gingerbread man valance for my kitchen window.

We have a small table top tree that we use in the hearthroom, next to the fireplace.  It sits on the table, under one of the small windows and, from outside, it looks like a full size tree.

I don't do a tree anymore in the living room.  Instead, I have a big lighted snowman, and a stack of lighted "Christmas presents" that I put outside the living room French sliders.  They look in on us in the evening, lol.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Boy, do I!  All in gingerbread, candy, and cookie decor.  The hutch is loaded with Annalee gingerbread and candy dolls, Valerie's gingerbread houses, Valerie's flameless candles gumdrop trees and sugarcone trees, and on and on.  The 6 1/2' tree is Lisa's flocked woodland tree with multi lights of last year covered in the same motif,  This year I have added Christmas canvas prints around that area.  I posted pictures last year, and will probably do so this year.

Honored Contributor

A little bit. 

My kitchen is rather small, but opens up with only a counter/cupboard/countertop divider between it and the dining room. At one time,I think it was considered a bar to eat at, but we removed the lower section of the countertop to make more room. (I have had realtors tell me my dining room isn't actually a diningroom, because it only has three walls and is divided from the kitchen only by a cupboard/bar/counter type thing. But is does hold a full size dining table for 4, a large hutch and a buffet, in addition to some smaller items, so whatever it is, it looks and functions like a dining room).

The dining room is decorated in elegant looking cardinal platters and red items with lots of pine boughs and pinecones. Since this is all very visable from the kitchen, some may consider it part of the kitchen decor, but I don't. It looks like a full dining room to me!

In the kitchen proper, I put up a small vignette on a tray on one counter of several pieces I have from my childhood. A small cookie jar, santa mug, and things like that. Each piece is a treasure from my childhood. I intertwine pine brances, vintage Christmas cards and such, and it looks very nostalgic. On the window over the sink I hang two stained glass ornaments (a Christmas candle and a poinsettia) that my great uncle hand made for me. On one counter, I set up seaonal dishes and serveware in a nice display. They are used throughout the season, so function and decor are combined here. Then seasonal dish towels and that is it.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

I don't really Christmas decorate the kitchen, but I do have a window sill above my kitchen sink and put two battery taper candles on each side and in the middle goes a battery operated lit winter scene that I purchased here at the Q.  It looks nice, especially in the evening when it gets dark and it stays there the entire winter.

I loved your candle idea SO MUCH I bought a set of three candles at COSTCO this morning and I'll be doing something similar.

I have a window above the sink and a shelf above the window.

I always put several different sets of sugars/creamers on that shelf, and I think the candles will be gorgeous behind the Christmas sets.

I'm sure they are with your Winter Scene! Great idea!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have a big collection of old cookie jars. Some of them are on permanent display above my kitchen cabinets, and others make seasonal appearances.

I have 5 different pumpkin jars out now, on either side of my Kitchenaid mixer.

In December, I'll trade them out for tree and gingerbread house cookie jars.

My late aunt made a whole set of winking Santa mugs and pitchers. They decorate my hutch. She also made painted ceramic Christmas plates. I hang a few in the kitchen too.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have a kitchen/family/TV room combo, and I decorate the entire area, along with my LR and entry way!

Honored Contributor

Yes I decorate my table with my beautiful Christmas dishes, and put a few Christmas things on the counters and use my Christmas towels and pot holders.......