Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Use A Lot Of Items With Glitter At Christmas?

@luv-the-Q wrote:

I buy old vintage and retro Christmas decorations and ornaments and glitter them myself.  After the glitter goes on I seal it with liquid sealer.  Then, there is very minimal shedding, if any at all.  It's beautiful and no one gets personally glittered up.  New glittered items shed horribly so I don't buy them.

@luv-the-Q  - I was just going to post about sealing any items purchased that have glitter!  Easy peasy.

Respected Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

I buy old vintage and retro Christmas decorations and ornaments and glitter them myself.  After the glitter goes on I seal it with liquid sealer.  Then, there is very minimal shedding, if any at all.  It's beautiful and no one gets personally glittered up.  New glittered items shed horribly so I don't buy them.

This is a very good tip for newlyrics purchased  items as well. Thank you!

Frequent Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Glitter makes some items look so pretty when there new in the store.  

I no longer use glitter because I have little grand sons and glitter can cut your retena if it gets in your eyes!

I didn't know that about the danger for eyes, but I do love glittery, sparkly things. I don't care for glitter I apply myself as much, since it does get all over everything, but most non-cheapy items you buy with glitter on them don't "shed."

Frequent Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

What kind of liquid sealer? I need to get some. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I do not care for glittered items. The last several years, everything "holiday" is too heavily coated and it gets everywhere.
"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

I like glitter, I dont love it.

I have a few items that are glittered...but I make an effort to NOT buy anything with the shiny stuff.

A couple of years ago, I bought a bunch of the garlands that LR had on in champagne and bronze for my tree....I have never been covered in so much glitter in my life!

Now, I am going back to the natural look that I originally had, and still love. I just donated a whole box of red and lime green GLITTERED items to my church for their tree in the rectory.

Esteemed Contributor

I like SOME glitter......mostly tree ornaments....if I pick up something in Hobby Lobby and glitter is falling off all over...I just don't buy it

Honored Contributor

I like glitter in moderation but lately there is too much being used.  Some items have so much glitter that I can't see the features in the pieces.  I do like the way light reflects off the glitter but no need to add so much.  A little glitter goes a long way.

Trusted Contributor

@luv-the-Q - I'd also like to know what product can be used to seal glittered items.  TIA.

Trusted Contributor

@DecorDiva

You can use Mod Podge, but I use Duncan Accessory Product gloss.  It is a sealer for acrylics.  It dries clear and glossy without any tackiness.  Mod Podge will be tacky if you get it too thick.  Any of the sealers will if you don't use thin layers.  I use two coats.  Most of my glittering is done to glass ornaments, plastics, wood and ceramics.  I never have had luck with spray on sealers so I paint mine on.  😀