Respected Contributor

Re: Calling all Dicken's Villiage Lovers

[ Edited ]

@ World Traveler Oh my goodness! Please post pictures! You went all out! Your neighbors are so lucky! We have made three tiers using boxes under the snow blanket. My grown ds loves it as much as I do so he has taken over the set up! I think we are going to have to diet a special board cut to enlarge our display area. I hadn't thought about getting a tiered piece built! You were good to think of the holes for the wires! They are both the biggest problem to work with and the hardest thing to get connected! 

Collecting is contagious! I started collecting a few choice Santas before I found the Villiage ! It was love at first sight, and once I saw it, I had to keep growing it! With my limited space, I decided to only buy the pieces that were important to the story, more importantly, my favorite movie version with Alistair Sym! So, I got the church, the Cratchets home, Fezziwigs, Scrooge and Marley, Scrooges house, the butcher, baker, candle maker, toy store (Tiny Tim looks in the window in the movie), the Crowne Tavern, where Scrooge stops and gets his gruel, tries to get "more bread" until the waiter tells him it will be added to the bill to which Scrooge replies, "No more bread". If I get more room, I can set up the nephew's house. I haven't seen the boarding school, but I would get it unless it's outrageously expensive! Most of my pieces were birthday presents, so I've been lucky! I bought bottle brush trees at first, then Michael's sold little trees, like 8-10 inch mini Christmas trees. I lined the back of the bay window, behind the buildings, with various heights and styles of trees. Then, I bought a large piece of thin batting which I used as the base. I placed "brick" walkways on top, then, when the set was finished we sprinkle fake snow on top, which unified it all.  I've found odd things over the years, like a frozen lake, iron fencing, and small figures. That's the only way I could afford to "beef" up the display! I began collecting in 1986 as well!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@Nataliesgramma What a gorgeous display!  I'll bet everyone loves to see that.

@World Traveler Your display sounds wonderful, too.  I love looking at Villages and Fairy Gardens, but I don't love putting them up or taking them down.

We usually set our small village up on three folding card tables placed side by side.  We have some styrofoam platforms so there are three tiers of houses.  I used to collect Dicken's, but I gave most of those away.  Now, I just have a subset of Snow Village called Holiday Lane.  We don't display it every year because I don't always have the time or the will to drag out the totes and crawl around to set it up.  This was the last time we set it up before I sprinkled the snow onto the display.

image.jpeg

What a beautiful display! I passed on mine a few years until my ds stepped up to help! My space is about half as big in both directions! We had to build up or keep some put away! That's why this year I need a bigger place to set it up! It takes so long and so much care to set up that it is a shame not to leave it out all year long!

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

Although I don't have any of the Christmas village items, I love A Christmas Carol, too! Several years ago I decided to go ALL IN. I ordered every version of the movie I could get my hands on...mostly from Amazon. It is a tradition for us to watch all the different versions every year during the month of December. It's just fun! I look forward to it, and have never regretted buying ALLLLLL those movies.

And as Tiny Tim would say, "God Bless us, every one!" 

Love your custom! Before ds got married, he and I watched it Christmas Eve afternoon one everything was ready and roast was in oven! We did it so often that I knew it was time to take the roast out when Tiny Tim died! My mother insisted for years that there was a version with Basil Rathbone! Everyone said it was never made. Five years after she died I found it! It's a fairly short version, but I think it's quite well done! I love the B&W Alistair Sym version best, but I haven't found any I didn't love! Which is your favorite?

Respected Contributor

@Imadickens, oh, I love that and even laughed out loud..."time to take the roast out when Tiny Tim died." HA! I really enjoy all the versions. They are all so different. Weird, but I kinda like the one with George C. Scott. There are even versions with Kelsey Grammer and Henry Winkler...The Fonz plays Scrooge. Ha! I did not buy any of the kiddie versions, but maybe I should. There's a Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol that has 761 five star reviews. No way!  

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@Imadickens, oh, I love that and even laughed out loud..."time to take the roast out when Tiny Tim died." HA! I really enjoy all the versions. They are all so different. Weird, but I kinda like the one with George C. Scott. There are even versions with Kelsey Grammer and Henry Winkler...The Fonz plays Scrooge. Ha! I did not buy any of the kiddie versions, but maybe I should. There's a Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol that has 761 five star reviews. No way!  

My favorite is the one with Geore C Scott also....but for fun I like Disney's  "A Christemas Carol" with Scrooge McDuck...LOL

Respected Contributor

When I had my North Pole village, I had a display case just like the one pictured below.  There are built in electrical socket in the back of the case and the front door slides so that you get a maximum view of the display inside.  It came in oak or cherry and was very nice, plenty of room.

Respected Contributor

@Meezerpleezer wrote:

When I had my North Pole village, I had a display case just like the one pictured below.  There are built in electrical socket in the back of the case and the front door slides so that you get a maximum view of the display inside.  It came in oak or cherry and was very nice, plenty of room.

Where were they available? My friend's dh made one, very, very large! It had an end similar to this, if you bought two and placed them back to back. Then, the other end was about the size and shape you'd get if you laid two of these on their backs and placed them supine by side! He ran an old fashioned train around it, had working horse drawn carriages, moving ice skaters, and had a lighting system that focused on different settings, in the order they appeared in the story! It was amazing! It's in storage now as they are going to move soon!

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@pupwhipped wrote:

My favorite is the one with Geore C Scott also....but for fun I like Disney's  "A Christemas Carol" with Scrooge McDuck...LOL

I also like those, along with the Muppet version!

Esteemed Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@Meezerpleezer wrote:

Where were they available? My friend's dh made one, very, very large! It had an end similar to this, if you bought two and placed them back to back. Then, the other end was about the size and shape you'd get if you laid two of these on their backs and placed them supine by side! He ran an old fashioned train around it, had working horse drawn carriages, moving ice skaters, and had a lighting system that focused on different settings, in the order they appeared in the story! It was amazing! It's in storage now as they are going to move soon!

We have a family owned furnture store that carries these. I wish I had room for one now. I have 4 smaller curios that I display my Christmas in the City and Disney pieces....