Honored Contributor

Burning bayberry candles for good luck

I know that several of us burn bayberry candles on either New Year's or Christmas Day for good luck. Just wanted to pass on the info that Yankee Candle has their bayberry tapers in stock now if anyone is looking for them. I was in their store in my area yesterday and they had them out. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Burning bayberry candles for good luck

Bayberry candles always evoke Christmas memories for me.  Since I was a kid, my mother has kept the bulk of her Christmas decorations, bayberry candles included, in the many cabinets located on the bottom tier of the entertainment center in the Family Room.  When those cabinet doors would swing open on the day we'd start decorating, that smell would flood the room.  It was like the official welcoming of the holidays.  I have not been able to find good Bayberry candles around where I live now.  I didn't even realize that Yankee Candle made them.  I don't have a YC store in my area, so I only have access to the very basic ones they sell at BB&B or the Hallmark store.  None of the ones I've smelled come close to having that "oomph" that Mom's candles have.  She's had those same, unburned candles for over 40 years, and they still smell!  She cleans them off and uses them in wreath displays every year.  It's amazing how they still hold up!

Honored Contributor

I grew up with bayberry candles at Christmas, green, but never heard it had anything to do with luck.  I still have a few from decades ago,which I cherish and only burn during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, as I never want to be without that scent at Christmas, so have to conserve, but any bayberry candle other than the brand I knew, does not smell like the bayberry I grew up with, not even remotely.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I grew up with bayberry candles at Christmas, green, but never heard it had anything to do with luck.  I still have a few from decades ago,which I cherish and only burn during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, as I never want to be without that scent at Christmas, so have to conserve, but any bayberry candle other than the brand I knew, does not smell like the bayberry I grew up with, not even remotely.

"A bayberry candle burned to the socket brings health to the home and wealth to the pocket".  That's the legend.  You burn the candle from start to it's natural finish on New Year's Day (some burn it Christmas Day) and the legend is supposed to come true for you.

Trusted Contributor

How convenient for candle companies to foster this belief to further sales.

I can't believe some of the things people do in the name of "luck."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@keithsmom65 wrote:

This dates back to colonial times.  So, it wasn't started by a candle company.  My family has done this for years and years and we enjoy the tradition.  Your post was condescending and unkind to me redhead87.  Did you really have to go out of your way to be so critical?   My family enjoys doing this as do many others.

Honored Contributor

Daddy did it every Christms Eve.

Super Contributor

like the bayberry scent and read that the ones from Colonail Williamsburg are really nice. I actually just ordered their bayberry jar candle. I remember years ago when i was in Alexandria Virginia i bought a Williamsburg jar candle-sweet potpto pie that I always burned around Thanksgiving (just finished it this year) and it smelled wonderful.Looking forward to receiving their bayberry candle

Trusted Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

I think in some instances you are correct with regards to how superstitions and traditions can be exploited for the sake of making money, but I disagree with you in this instance.  Most people have never heard of this tradition, so I doubt we'll be getting any marketing emails from candle companies encouraging us to ward off bad luck with their candles.  Like another poster said, this tradition has been around for hundreds of years, so I think we would have gotten the pitch by now.  

Super Contributor

received the Williamsburg bayberry candle I ordered and it smelled so good that I just had to burn it for a while... wonderful bayberry smell and the throw is amazing- filled my whole house. so glad I tried this candle- lovely holiday fragrance!