Honored Contributor

Re: Are you planning on spending more or less this year....

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

About the same.  I don't have a lot of people to buy for.  On my side, we only buy gifts for my sister and my husband.  On DH's side we buy for his brother, sister, cousin, aunt and uncle. 

I have an account set up at my bank that I deposit X amount into every week so when the holidays roll around, the money for x-mas shopping is there and I don't have to worry about it.    

Our bank still does Christmas Club. I love the concept of putting aside a little money each week or payday and having a nice little nest egg for the holiday shopping.

I just received my check this week. I was so excited to be able to pay cash for everything this year, as some years I don't get the Christmas Club done. Well, within one week, the dog got sick and passed away leaving us a $2000 vet bill, and my car broke down needing $800 worth of parts for my husband to then fix. So, needless to say, our Christmas Club money this year is long gone on those unexpected events. 

Honored Contributor

We are spending about the same.  We have never been extravagant gift givers.  We are all readers so books are frequent gifts.  I keep my eye out all year for the perfect gifts.  Checked my gift box to see what else (If any) I need to purchase and I am all done!  Now I need to get everything wrapped. 

Honored Contributor

I will spend the same, as our family is very small.  I only buy actual gifts for my daughters, and two close friends.   Everyone else gets gift cards.   

Respected Contributor

In general, I expect to spend about the same this year as last year, maybe a little less because two friends have moved away and we will not be exchanging gifts with them.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We will probably spend less this year. To begin with, our  family has become quite small,  so we have very few people to buy for now.  We try to spoil my mom with some nice things, but other than that, there isn't much we really need. We don't want to buy things just to be buying things to have wrapped presents under the tree. I feel blessed in my life to be able to say that. We are trying to focus more on the family togetherness aspect and less on the material things. 

Respected Contributor

Hopefully the same or even a little less.  I'm already working on it and hope to be finished before Thanksgiving. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

About the same.  I don't have a lot of people to buy for.  On my side, we only buy gifts for my sister and my husband.  On DH's side we buy for his brother, sister, cousin, aunt and uncle. 

I have an account set up at my bank that I deposit X amount into every week so when the holidays roll around, the money for x-mas shopping is there and I don't have to worry about it.    

Our bank still does Christmas Club. I love the concept of putting aside a little money each week or payday and having a nice little nest egg for the holiday shopping.

I just received my check this week. I was so excited to be able to pay cash for everything this year, as some years I don't get the Christmas Club done. Well, within one week, the dog got sick and passed away leaving us a $2000 vet bill, and my car broke down needing $800 worth of parts for my husband to then fix. So, needless to say, our Christmas Club money this year is long gone on those unexpected events. 

Oh I am so sorry about all this and especially the dog.  Smiley Sad

My bank still does a xmas club but I just do a regular savings account for the very reason you mentioned.  With the x-mas club, you aren't allowed to take any money out of it at all.  You can only deposit.  And you get the money when they say you get it.  If something horrible happened and I *really* needed money, I wanted to have access to that money. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm down to bare bones gifting, too.

The adults have all agreed to not exchange any gifts. We all have everything we need. The kids are 20 something young adults who ask for cash or gift cards. Boring, I know!

Honestly, when was the last Christmas ANYONE had a HOT gift? Remember when there was the MUST HAVE toy or gift every year? No company that I know of goes to the trouble any more.

Super Contributor

Your answer describes our stage in life also .  Cutting way back all the way around , have everything we need and more . Starting to sell / give away / toss out , most things we don't need anymore . It will be nice to live more simply !

Honored Contributor

We cut back when we retired. generally, DH & I buy something we need or want for our house and that is our gift to us. Last year it was a new floor for our rear hallway, 2 years ago granite caps for our half walls. I think this year it's going to be cabinets to replace shelves in the laundry area.