Respected Contributor

Anyone else love Williamsburg decor?

[ Edited ]

Years ago while on a trip to Williamsburg I bought a fabulous book called, Decorating and Entertaining the Williamsburg Way. It takes you through the seasons and shows unique seasonal home decor and recipes from New Year's Day Baruch through a formal New Year's Eve celebration, and seasonal holidays in between! There are instructions for making the Christmas orange pomander balls, pumpkin soup in real pumpkin Tourennes, Christmas decor and natural dyed Easter eggs using cheesecloth, parsley and onion skins! Does anyone else decorate seasonally like this? I'd love some new ideas! I love Williamsburg decor and am getting tired of the same old cheesy stuff from Target! I would love some new ideas and recipes! It takes holidays and decor to a new level!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else love Williamsburg decor?

I LOVE Colonial Williamsburg.  I love the homes, decor...the entire atmosphere.  I used to decorate in that style quite a bit.  But, over the years I've modernized a little...more like a modern traditional.  And, some of my older pieces fit in nicely.

My sewing room is decorated with a lot of the things I've purchased there....framed photos, large illuminated replica houses, samplers that I've stitched over the years, etc.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

jewelwisher...

I too love Williamsburg decor.  Around 17 years ago my husband and I spent 5 days in and around Williamsburg.

I am also a history buff and as is my husband, so I was in my glory. I truly enjoyed everything...Loved it!  It was late July and the humidity was a killer.  

I told my husband if we go again I would love to visit between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  The pictures I have seen from books with all the real fruit wreaths, garlands and the wreaths using real turkey feathers are so beautiful. 

My style of decortating is "Traditional", in the way I chose to decorated our home.  

My formal dining room is Solid Cherry Wood and Bufett has the Tradtional Pineapple Finial.  

My living is Traditional also with many Asian pieces of furniture that came over from England.

Remember Traditional Style came from England and France...With trade going back and forth that is were the Asian infulance first came into the United States...thru England...Way back then...

My master bedroom has an antique 100 year old Brass Bed with genuine alabaster trendles.  My husband's dresser is a Traditional High Boy. My dresser is the matching piece but much longer and shorter in height its mirror has the Traditional Pineapple Finial.  I have the bedroom decorated with French Toile Fabrics.  

The best advice I can give for you to find your style...

Is go to the library and take out several books on "Traditional Style".  Get Furniture Books and Fabric Books on Traditional Style...And don't forget books on "Traditional Style Lighting". 

When you find the style you are drawn to then you can start to begin to transform your home.  A great place to buy is Estate Sales, Auctions, and Antique Shops.  

Also, remember it is better to buy "Quality"...Take your time and purchase wisely.

Instead of buying a bunch of knock off particle board furniture...Quanity.

I  hope this helps Jewelwisher...

And yes,  Orange and lemon pomander balls are alot of fun to make, I have made many.  Word of wise dot you pattern on the oranges and lemons with a permant fine tip marker then using a nail punch it into the fruit it makes it so much easier getting that clove in.  

I also purchased the Thomas Jefferson Cookbook while I was there and the Williamsburg Cookbook.

Enjoyable thread jewelwisher...Good Luck

Honored Contributor

When I was really into wanting to bathe in that time period, I was half this age. I still love to look at it all, but alas, that's as far as I took it. Enjoy, it's very comforting!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I absolutely love Williamsburg, been there several times and would go again if I were more physically able.  It's like walking into a different time.  I have a lot of Wmsburg things, but don't necessarily decorate in that style.  If I had the $$, I would!  I get their emails and always go thru the offerings.  They have discounts, too, at various times.

Honored Contributor

Williamsburg style is very elegant and graceful but not my cup of tea.  Too formal.  I like my home decorated in a way in which people can relax.  We have a different lifestyle now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I love it too . . . just not entirely everywhere . . . I like to mix.  It lends itself to many styles.

Valued Contributor

Yes, since I first visited as a child.  We have some pieces that are Colonial, but have less formal things, too.  My dream is to win the lottery and move into one of the houses in the historic area.

Honored Contributor

Oh absolutely!

I'm on the email list for Mt. Vernon.  I've purchased a few things from them & love the website.

Trusted Contributor

I think you need another trip to Williamsburg.  I just love it. I know I need another trip.