Super Contributor

Anyone NOT celebrate St.Valentine's Day?

For me, it's just another day. I dread going to stores and dealing with the last minute people. I'm also sensitive  / allergic to almost all treats. No: wheat, nuts, chocolate,  caffeine,  I'm sensitive to sugars so I limit what I have, yet I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners, and flowers make my sinuses go crazy.

Even as a kid I hated it, even more so as a teen. Elementary had parties, and you had to make a mail box for Valentines to tape to your desk. Kids would put the cards in it, but you only had to give to who you wanted to. Most kids got 1 from each student, I got maybe 2 total, one being from the teacher. High school had flower and candy grams, you'd buy one or each in the lobby, and during several classes they'd hand them out. The popular kids would rack up, us who received nothing were the laughing stock of the classes. Very "Mean Girls", "Glen Coco". 

Now as a single adult, it's just another day. It isn't an issue in my family, none of us give anything to one another. Half of the family is Catholic, and even they don't do anything.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone NOT celebrate St.Valentine's Day?

My husband and I don't make a big to do over Valentines Day.  

Today we went over to see grandchildren 9 and 11.  They came running out to the car when we pulled up waving Valentines they had made.  One had a box of chocolates in his hand and the other had a small bouquet of flowers.  They could not wait to give it to me - that is a really good Valentine memory.  I, of course, take them a little gift.

Respected Contributor

I don't celebrate V-Day.  It's one of my least favorite holidays.  Since I don't have a DH or SO there is nothing to celebrate.  I get tired of all the commercials and ads.  But at least all the candy will be 50% off on Monday!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Just another day here.   I'll give each of my furkids  a kiss,  but I do that every day. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Valentines Day is exciting for the young dating population.  Celebrate is too strong a word for this day,  it is more like we acknowledge the day (with flowers) but it is not a big deal.

Honored Contributor

No this day is like other days. I used to give little things to my kids when they were home but my hubs never did anything for this day for me or the kids so it turned into a nothing day. And then working at a party store for 12 years, soured any excitement for most of the holidays as I was around them for months on end.

Honored Contributor

Well, I haven't had any "luck" so far with Valentine's Day............so I guess I will wait until tomorrow to see if anything happens on Presidents' Day.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I was never really "into" Valentine's Day.  It was more symbolic when I was a teenager and just started dating.

My husband and I do go out to dinner (usually the day before to avoid the crazy crowds!), but celebrate at home with our daughters.  It's become more of a "fun" holiday since I had children. 

I'm not into getting flowers, chocolates, or jewelry.  I'd prefer dinner and time with my family.  I don't think I'll ever change my mind on that...

Valued Contributor

I love Valentine's day.  I think it is a special time for not just me and my husband but also close family.  I love to reach out cards and phone call to them on this day.  I know some are lonely.  I also have collected cupids and cherubs for many years.  This is wonderful time to appreciate all of them/  My husband and I were married also in February so it makes it more special.  The whole month is Valentine's Month in my home.

I

Esteemed Contributor

@Ane1Care It's okay if you don't want to acknowledge all the Commercial Push for the day.  My husband and I acknowledge each other but celebrate?  No.  We have a dinner out, exchange a nice card and if he gets around to it, flowers.  No special whoop it up needed.  It's become more of a day for friends and folks you love to acknowledge each other and maybe get together to enjoy each others company.  All the rest is hooey.  In fact, since we rescued 3 cats, we have made Valentine's Day their birthdays as we don't know their exact age or date of birth.  That is special to us. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust