Honored Contributor

Already planning my winter decor

I don't always do a lot of winter decor after Christmas but since I emptied out my curio and decided to decorate it for each season I have been planning what will be happening next.

I found these as the basis for an elegant snowman theme. I passed on a couple of mercury glass snowmen because of cost, that would have been perfect. May have to reconsider but these are a good start ! 20161206_170857.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Already planning my winter decor

@Mominohio

I love the snowmen hats!  How cute.

I put away my Christmas decor before I go back to school in January.  I have some pretty red, white, and blue snowmen place mats and hand towels for my kitchen and some snowmen and I decorate my kitchen with them through January.  My friend gave me snowman dishes and I use them too.  In east Tennessee, I am usually just wishing for snow and snowmen.  

In my living room, I have a very pretty crochet table runner (in beige) that I bought in Indiana.  I fill a white (old) Laura Ashley pitcher with ivory silk roses and cotton boll stems. I use a Luminara candle in a centerpiece with pine ones, and two white and beige owls.  After all the color of my fall decorations and the lights of my Christmas decorations, I am ready for some simplicity in January.

Have you heard about "hygge"?  It is a Danish word.  Apparently, sweeping through European decor.  It is on Pinterest and google images.  

Esteemed Contributor

Winter decor???  I've never heard of decorating for winter.  Maybe a seasonal wreath but never decor for the home.  What I learn here on the forums.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio - I love the hats!  I can see a vignette forming now.  Your post made me realize, in all the multitude of bins and christmas decor, I don't have one snowman!  And there is a place I would like to use one.  I can't wait to see what you do.

Honored Contributor

I love those hats!  Although to me, it says Christmas more than Winter.  One year, way back, I did a silver/white/black Christmas theme.  Those hats would have worked beautifully.  Maybe I'll revisit that next year.   I don't do a Winter theme.  The Christmas things come down on 1/7 and I keep some of the red things up through Valentines Day and then around mid March, it's time to put my Spring things up.  Winter gets lost in the shuffle.

Respected Contributor

My winter decor is already in place Smiley Happy  All I have to do is remove the definitely Christmas pieces and the trees and I'm set until spring fever hits.  This has been my goal as I acquired new pieces and purged my Christmas decor for the past couple of years.

Love those snowman hats....

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@Mominohio - I love the hats!  I can see a vignette forming now.  Your post made me realize, in all the multitude of bins and christmas decor, I don't have one snowman!  And there is a place I would like to use one.  I can't wait to see what you do.

@DecorDiva

I used to have a lot of snowman things, but got rid of most of it, as it was kind of just a mixture of small and inexpensive (and not really coming together as coordinating) stuff that I didn't feel love for. I saved a fewer more expensive pieces, and hope they will mix well with these hats. 

I haven't done much with snowmen in quite some time (just one vignette in my family room that is rather primitive). Looking forward to seeing what I dream up between now and then!

I don't do a lot of silver, but have some silver things that I just never seem to use. The silver ribbon on these might just allow me to incorporate some things I haven't found a place for, and was considering just getting rid of. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio - I know what you mean.  It tickles me when I can pull out something I haven't used in years and combine it with something new or use it in a new way.  That's why I have trouble getting rid of things.  But storage is an issue now, as well as the energy needed to get stuff up and down the basement stairs.  I'm determined to downsize in anticpation of retiring Jan 2018 so I've rented a small area (and I mean small, 4x7) in a local antique/flea market store and I'm getting rid of some "less loved" items.  I'm doing pretty well seeing as how the space is so small.  It's an experiment.  But it does feel good.  Now the flip side of that coin is to buy less, and I didn't do a real good job of that this year!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  My Winter theme is already on my kitchen table.  The hutch and the tree are decorated for Christmas, but the hutch can go into winter this year, as the hutch is full of deer, and the table is The Woods in Winter.  Next year, I will try to move this theme to another area so that the table can be totally Christmas, where I don't know. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I guess I do decorate differently in fall/winter and spring/summer. But so much of what I have is seasonless that I don't have much to change up. I think when I had homes without the open floor plan it was easier to decorate each space without worrying about a cohesive look. Now I have kitchen, great room, and dining area all open to another, I can't handle a lot of decor without feeling cluttered.

The hats are darling. Have fun!