Honored Contributor

Re: crazy price for nylon Dooney

[ Edited ]

Dooney's nylon when not on sale is pricey and yes, perhaps it's over-priced, particularly when compared to the leather version. That said, it is very nice. I own one Dooney nylon bag that I waited and got on sale and it's a great, light weight bag. How can they get away with it? Because people pay it. It really is as simple as that...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

that's where I am coming from and why I did the original post. I would expect a bigger difference between leather and nylon so this bag, in my opinion should be less expensive. I paid $139 for a big nylon Dooney tote. Where are they coming up with the price on this bag other than the leather version is a best seller.

Respected Contributor

I bought 3 cute Travelon bags, 2 crossbody quilteds and 1 backpack that I use for inclement weather and/or travel. The price for all 3 of them doesn't even come close to what this Dooney is.

Nylon is nylon, the finishing is where the Dooney expense comes in. And the Duck.

Overpriced IMHO

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I bought 3 cute Travelon bags, 2 crossbody quilteds and 1 backpack that I use for inclement weather and/or travel. The price for all 3 of them doesn't even come close to what this Dooney is.

Nylon is nylon, the finishing is where the Dooney expense comes in. And the Duck.

Overpriced IMHO

And so is a Lexus compared to a camry.  These two vehicles share the same internal parts but the consumer is paying 12,000 dollars more to have the lexus name.  Go figure. 

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 -- well, then -  from my point of view, they should raise the price of the leather bags to get the difference be more because I've shopped and shopped for a nylon bag I really like -  and I own some less expensive than the hobo I ordered.  I'm just hoping this one is as much more suitable to me than the last oen I bought which was a MKors.  As I remember it was on sale at something over 125 -  it's okay as to weright, color, durability, but it's not a great shape to carry and I'm hoping for far better organization with this Donney.

Also, I'm probably not as price-sensitve as some because I buy so little -  my handbag purchases over the last 3 years average about &7.00 per year!  That MK is older than 3. 

One final thought -  I'm too old to have a teen-age daughter, but if did, she be crying, "Mom, you can't go out of the house in those clothes."  time to shop here

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my Dooney nylon tote on sale as well.  Don't think I would pay full price for it so I am agreeing with those who say overpriced.  The important thing to me is that it is good quality bag which should wear well..  LM

Respected Contributor

I own several nylon MZ Wallace and Kate Spade bags. Ranging from $150-$400. After years of hard use, they still look fantastic. My sister-in-law has a Louis Vuitton. It was $1800 for coated cotton. After 2 years, it was really showing a lot of wear and tear. So I feel like the investment is well worth it depending on the bag and the quality of the material.
Super Contributor

Totally agree with the O/P--when I saw the nylon logo lock first presented, and the price along with it, I have to say my jaw dropped!  I love this brand and I have several, including the nylon tote which I carry to work (it's italian leather, and very good quality, but it was reasonably priced, forget how much but def under $170.00)--this logo lock nylon bag should be $100 less than what the "featured price" is. . .  That bag should not be that much IMHO..

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen some nylon Dooney crossbody bags at Hudson's Bay in Canada that are at least $150 CDN. Ummm...nope..fetch isn't gonna happen here!

Valued Contributor

I have been waiting for the logo lock in nylon for forever. In fact, I even suggested doing the hobo in nylon on Sue's FB page awhile back. I have a D&B tote in nylon ( big enough to use for overnight trips) and 2 cross body bags. The nylon truly IS exceptional (hence my desire for the hobo). Having said that, I, too, was shocked by the price. I obviously will pay more for high quality, but this price seems out of line.