Valued Contributor

Zippers on Dooney ?

[ Edited ]

On handbags like the Dooney Zip Zip or the recent TSV Aubrey, if the zipper is smooth but not straight, does it straighten out over time?

In other words, the zipper is "smooth" to zip and unzip; but, the path of the zipper is curved. It is not straight from one edge of the bag to the other. So, looking down at the bag from the top, that is when you notice it.

I don't usually do bags with zippers so I was just curious.

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

I don't understand the question 

Respected Contributor

I am not sure what you mean. I have never had any issues with Dooney zippers, and I have had some of my bags for many years. If it doesn't look right, exchange it! I have never bought the zip-zip, and I returned its larger, front-pocket Aubrey version because to my eye it was too large. The quality in the Aubrey that I got was just great, though, and the zipper looked fine and worked beautifully. Excellent value.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies!  Sorry I didn't explain it very well.  It's that the zipper is "smooth" to zip and unzip; but, the path of the zipper is curved.  It is not straight from one edge of the bag to the other.  So, looking down at the bag from the top, that is when you notice it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think I understand what you mean and I do have one bag, but it's not a Dooney, where if you look at the zipper it looks like it wasn't sewn in right or something, almost like it's a tiny bit kinked in some spots, but I don't have any problems with it, it still glides open and shut smoothly. I have a jacket that the zipper looks that way too when it's hanging open on a hanger, looks pinched or like a crooked road, yet it zips right up no problem.

Respected Contributor

I know what you mean. My older, made in America Dooneys have plastic zippers that are straight. But my newer bag has a metal zipper that does not slide smoothly.

Trusted Contributor

@Julie_23 I understand exactly what you mean. I've returned bags with zipers like that because I don't think they will "straighten" out. In the ones I've returned the zippers were sewn crooked in some areas which is very noticeable specifically on the zip zip styles IMO

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

On handbags like the Dooney Zip Zip or the recent TSV Aubrey, if the zipper is smooth but not straight, does it straighten out over time?

In other words, the zipper is "smooth" to zip and unzip; but, the path of the zipper is curved. It is not straight from one edge of the bag to the other. So, looking down at the bag from the top, that is when you notice it.

Thanks!

I know what  you're talking about and no, not usually.  Guess what this is from??  It's from the manufacturer's overstuffing the bag so that the material next to the zipper that is part of the zipper itself gets stretched out in places.  The zipper may be high quality but the fabric next to the zipper is not necessarily top grade and will succumb to some stretching in places and that's what creates that wobbly look.  Nice, huh?

I've sent a bag back that was so incredibly overstuffed that the zipper looked like a mountain road in France~!  I don't mind a little bit of it, but holy mackeral, what are they thinking?  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*