Honored Contributor

Re: Satchel Santas, Ho-Ho-Hobos and Other Indulgences Y'all... 4Q-2015

@stevieb wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

The year my Mother passed away was the day after Thanksgiving.

In 1987 my Father passed away 2 days before Christmas.

They had both been sick for a long time, so it was a blessings they passed.

But I have wonderful memories of great holidaysHeart

A blessing, perhaps, but still sad @Sister Golden Hair...  

I too have some wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas memories, even though I now find it a somewhat bittersweet season... 

Why do you find it somewhat bittersweet now @stevieb?

I guess @EdithEllenLily because for some, the holidays lose a good bit of their magic as we age... I think that up to a point, though they were different as we went through life's stages, they were still ever-changing with new experiences, Somewhere along the line for many of us, I think, things change, we face losses in many ways, and while we're still making memories, they aren't quite as special somehow. A sort of 'been there-done that' feeling seeps in, so while the season continues to be special, I suppose the memory of holidays gone by are more glowing than 'Christmas present' usually tends to be, and yet those feelings from 'yesteryear' still influence us in the present. Believe me, I'm not 'against' the holidays, I just don't find I savor them as I once did. I think too they're a time when we think about and miss those no longer with us. Then too, let's face it, as we get older the whole 'holiday season' can become a pretty challenging ordeal...

I do understand because most of my family are gone.

And losing my brother this year, we don't have many left.

We are close to my husband's family but everyone are scattered.

All but his sister that lives here.

I miss the big family get togethers with Mom's homemade rolls and honey butter,

The games, watching football, staying up late watching movies and snacking on leftovers.

Then when our son moved to Sweden, well, we are all sad.

His brother misses him because they are best friendsHeart

Now when I'm out shopping, I can't buy much for the grandbabies because it costs so much to send packages.

I mailed three medium boxes and it cost $167.00.

OK, I'm done.

I'm very blessed to have our son and grandson here.

I miss the days when we would dress someone, (unlucky one) up as a Christmas tree.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I am craving a little something sweet, but am not sure what it is I want...

I will be more than happy to come to your house and make you a PBJHeart

Woman Very Happy  

Thanks @Sister Golden Hair but that's a little more than I had in mind... Besides, I've actually mastered the art of putting peanut butter and jelly on bread... I think like maybe when I was four...

Woman Wink

Cute stevieWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

All right ladies, I hate to break up the party, but it seems like it's been a long day and I am bushed... completely done in... While I started watching Woman of the Year, a wonderful old movie, I think it's time to tape the rest of it and crawl into bed with the book I started a few days ago... Have a lovely night, all.

Goodnight, don't let the bedbugs biteWoman Wink

Old Old saying

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

All right ladies, I hate to break up the party, but it seems like it's been a long day and I am bushed... completely done in... While I started watching Woman of the Year, a wonderful old movie, I think it's time to tape the rest of it and crawl into bed with the book I started a few days ago... Have a lovely night, all.

Goodnight, don't let the bedbugs biteWoman Wink

Old Old saying

I remember my dad always telling me 'good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite'...

Woman Wink

Good night @Sister Golden Hair

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Before I bug off completely... for anyone interested, Dooney is having a sale too... 'Buy more and save'...  I won't be, but in case others are in a Dooney shopping mood, have at it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

The year my Mother passed away was the day after Thanksgiving.

In 1987 my Father passed away 2 days before Christmas.

They had both been sick for a long time, so it was a blessings they passed.

But I have wonderful memories of great holidaysHeart

A blessing, perhaps, but still sad @Sister Golden Hair...  

I too have some wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas memories, even though I now find it a somewhat bittersweet season... 

Why do you find it somewhat bittersweet now @stevieb?

I guess @EdithEllenLily because for some, the holidays lose a good bit of their magic as we age... I think that up to a point, though they were different as we went through life's stages, they were still ever-changing with new experiences, Somewhere along the line for many of us, I think, things change, we face losses in many ways, and while we're still making memories, they aren't quite as special somehow. A sort of 'been there-done that' feeling seeps in, so while the season continues to be special, I suppose the memory of holidays gone by are more glowing than 'Christmas present' usually tends to be, and yet those feelings from 'yesteryear' still influence us in the present. Believe me, I'm not 'against' the holidays, I just don't find I savor them as I once did. I think too they're a time when we think about and miss those no longer with us. Then too, let's face it, as we get older the whole 'holiday season' can become a pretty challenging ordeal...

Now, now, @stevieb, be careful or you'll be telling us without telling us your age. Woman Wink

Truly, this is one of the best posts you've written, and it makes me feel likewise bittersweet. I get it...totally. Before I even knew you, I would read your posts and think, wow, that stevieb really tells it like it is. I'm so glad you're my friend. Yes, I am thankful for you on this Thanksgiving Day. Heart

Honored Contributor

Edith, it is good to see youHeart

Sounds like you also had a great meal.

My husband decided to make breakfast.

So we had fried potatoes with onions, cheesy eggs and sausage.

Then some homemade cinnamon bread that I bought at a place where the Magic store is located.

It's so nice he helps with the cooking @Sister Golden Hair! It sounds like it turned out okay despite not going out! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Edith, did you read my post about my Magic store buys?

Of course, I'm in a little bit of deep water with the HMWoman Sad

I did @Sister Golden Hair! You scored some wonderful brands at great prices! I still don't know about that Marley brand...will need to look it up tomorrow. Yes, I saw you got into trouble with our Beloved HM...lord knows I know that volume IS a problem...

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

Edith, did you read my post about my Magic store buys?

Of course, I'm in a little bit of deep water with the HMWoman Sad

I did @Sister Golden Hair! You scored some wonderful brands at great prices! I still don't know about that Marley brand...will need to look it up tomorrow. Yes, I saw you got into trouble with our Beloved HM...lord knows I know that volume IS a problem...

Edith, I was shocked about the Cole Haan. Such a great bag.

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

Edith, it is good to see youHeart

Sounds like you also had a great meal.

My husband decided to make breakfast.

So we had fried potatoes with onions, cheesy eggs and sausage.

Then some homemade cinnamon bread that I bought at a place where the Magic store is located.

It's so nice he helps with the cooking @Sister Golden Hair! It sounds like it turned out okay despite not going out! Woman Happy

Yes, I'm blessed to have a great husband and dear friend.