Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Dooney oyster color...

@faeriemoon I hope you like your new Samba in oyster! It seems to me that someone on these boards wrote that oyster looks a little different in the various types of leather. I think in the Samba leather it may be a bit darker/more saturated. I think it's absolutely beautiful in the Samba leather! And I think it will go with everything, especially burgundy and grey. Ashley, the Dooney rep, said she carried an oyster bag for a couple of months this summer and she received a lot of compliments. She also said the oyster color seems to "change" with the different colors you wear! The lunchtime special price was wonderful, too. I think you scored! Enjoy it, EEL 

Honored Contributor

Thanks @EdithEllenLily.  Glad you got to see the LTS price too!

Honored Contributor

I don't have any Dooney's with the Samba leather. But I can't imagine any reason that bag couldn't be carried year round. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Thank you to all who offered their opinions.  Bag came today and I am very happy with the color, which seems pretty neutral to me.  Under certain indoor lighting it has a bit of a rose/lavender cast, but for the most part it appears fairly taupe.  Looks great with the T-moro trim.

Have to say the Samba leather isn't really as squishy as they made it out to be, but it's nice.  I do prefer the Florentine and the Toledo though.  It was still a good buy as a LTS, and it fit the bill as far as the color I needed.happy

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Thank you to all who offered their opinions.  Bag came today and I am very happy with the color, which seems pretty neutral to me.  Under certain indoor lighting it has a bit of a rose/lavender cast, but for the most part it appears fairly taupe.  Looks great with the T-moro trim.

Have to say the Samba leather isn't really as squishy as they made it out to be, but it's nice.  I do prefer the Florentine and the Toledo though.  It was still a good buy as a LTS, and it fit the bill as far as the color I needed.happy

Congratulations on your new oyster Samba @faeriemoon!!! I'm so glad you like it. I ALMOST bought that very same bag as well, but I'm really trying hard to tone it down on handbag shopping because our house is crammed full of handbags! Oh no! Interesting about the Samba leather and your preferences being toward Florentine and Toledo. I do not have any Samba. It's good to know! Enjoy your pretty new handbag, EEL Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Congratulations on your new oyster Samba @faeriemoon!!! I'm so glad you like it. I ALMOST bought that very same bag as well, but I'm really trying hard to tone it down on handbag shopping because our house is crammed full of handbags! Oh no! Interesting about the Samba leather and your preferences being toward Florentine and Toledo. I do not have any Samba. It's good to know! Enjoy your pretty new handbag, EEL Woman Happy

Thank you, EEL.  I will use this bag until the weather gets really yucky and I have to worry about it getting gross if it touches the outside of the car in the winter (salt, sand, and assorted winter yucks.)  I suspect the Samba isn't one of their "finer" leathers, but it is still very nice.  Thanks for all your help in making this decision.  I so hate making returns, and everyone's input helped me decide on a bag that I won't have to send back.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon:  I'm so glad to hear that your new handbag is a keeper. Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy it!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Update:  For the first time ever, I returned a bag after having used it for about a week.  I usually know immediately if I like something and/or how well it will work for me, but it seems I mis-judged this one.  (I've lost my touch.)

First of all, the front pocket on the bag is not all that user friendly.  I wanted to use it for my cell phone, but it doesn't open all that easily, and the pocket doesn't really allow you to get your whole hand in there to retrieve it.

Secondly, the top handles should be about an inch longer.  When I finally have to resort to a winter coat I still would like to be able to wear the bag on the crook of my arm, and I'd like it to slide on easily.  Not sure that will be the case with this bag.

And finally, the top of the bag, when zipped, is sort of wavy.  I don't love the look; looks sort of defective.

So I put the tags back on, stuffed the tissue back in, and packed it up for its journey back to the Q.  I feel bad that someone is going to get that bag and feel like they got a return.  However, it was returned in perfect condition.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents in the event anyone is considering this style.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon:  You shouldn't feel bad. Since you don't love the bag, you would be sorry if you kept it. And it's up to the Q to decide whether to re-sell it as a "new" bag or "as is." You were well within the "love it or return it" 30-day return policy. And thank you for pointing out these quirks, to help anyone who is "sitting on the fence" about this style.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@faeriemoon:  You shouldn't feel bad. Since you don't love the bag, you would be sorry if you kept it. And it's up to the Q to decide whether to re-sell it as a "new" bag or "as is." You were well within the "love it or return it" 30-day return policy. And thank you for pointing out these quirks, to help anyone who is "sitting on the fence" about this style.

Thanks @handygal2, I didn't love it.  In fact, it was really getting on my nerves.