Honored Contributor

Re: Kestenberg bag magnetic closures

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Gosh, you'd think for the price of Aimee's bags, she could have them zip shut which is much more secure.

She has 3 outside zip pockets and one inside zip pocket on the TSV bag, as well as one magnetic closure that you have to open and reach your arm inside to get at, so I'm not sure how much more security you expect in a bag that isn't a specialty travel bag.

Personally, I always want a magnetic flap or slip pocket on the outside for fast access to my mobile phone.

@ChynnaBlue  I never mind a magnetic pocket on the outside.  It's the main compartments I'm most concerned about.   I'd rather she had put a zipper on the main big compartment and magnetic closures on the outside ones, but that is my preference for a bag.  A magnetic closure is never as secure as a zipper closure so that's how it could be more secure than it is.

Thanks to all who replied about the strength of her magentic closures; that's very helpful for my decision-making.

Super Contributor

@Pearlee  I too prefer a zip top closure however this handbag has that flap that folds over so it is very secure.  

Note to everyone, I own this bag and had purchased it in the denim, the lizard and the black.  I'm keeping only the black.   The bags they are showing on tv are stuffed with paper to give them that structured look...there is .way more paper in them than what was sent out.  The bags are not that structured and will get that funky bend on the top if things are not evenly distributed inside or overfilled which is not hard to do on such a small bag.  Yes, it is a small bag despite the pockets.

I found the denim to be the thinnest and most unstructured.  I placed all my things into each of the three and then looked at how they hung while standing in front of a mirror. While I don't need another black bag, it looked the best.  

The snake bag was too shiny for my taste.  

Someone mentioned on another Aimee thread that there are sales right now for other brands (not on the Q) and one can find great deals for better named bags.  I found that to be true too.  

Respected Contributor

Moretofolllow. 

Thanks for your insignts.

Me, I am wondering about that shoulder strap and having a nagging feeling.

Respected Contributor

I have a previous AK TSV satchel and no the magnet is not that strong and the bag will gap open sometimes.  I agree the magnet closure is a cheaper manufacture approach and not secure. To me this doesn't seem like a great value. Shipping fee is too high-

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21  @JavaQueen  @Lovingq

Thank you also for responding.  I canceled my order.   I think the strap will be too thin for me and I'm still not crazy about a magnetic closure despite the foldover aspect.  I don't want to lose $7.00 plus return shipping if I don't like it.   I'll look for a cool bag locally instead.  Thanks again.  I don't regret canceling, although I still think the multi snake print is very cool indeed.

Esteemed Contributor

The magnetic snap closures on the Aimee Kestenberg bags are hit and miss. I have 2 of the same bag and the bags are medium large. They have magnetic snap closures which work well unless the bag is too full. I have 2 other Aimee Kestenberg bags with zipper closures. She doesn't use the best quality zippers either. They are average metal zippers and they don't glide very smoothly like a quality zipper should.

Super Contributor

I own an Aimee Kestenberg tote. The magnets are not strong. The bag opens up on its own. I don't know. Some bags are pretty, but I prefer Dooney & Bourke.