Esteemed Contributor

Insights on Saffiano Leather please???

Want to know the difference between Saffiano and cross hatch.  Help me ladies.

Thank you.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Re: Insights on Saffiano Leather please???

Saffiano is the kind of leather, crosshatch is the pattern on the leather often associated with bags made of Saffiano leather.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Saffiano is the kind of leather, crosshatch is the pattern on the leather often associated with bags made of Saffiano leather.

@stevieb, thank you.  Is Saffiano a good quality leather or is it a corrected leather grain?

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

It is an embossed texture, but even pebble grain is embossed, so that isn't a bad thing. Saffiano also is a pvc-coated leather, which accounts for its durability but gives it a plastic feel. I happen not to like it, but many women swear by it because it is so hard wearing. It's just a matter of one's personal taste.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis... Like any other type of leather, there are going to be variations. Some brands do it well and others less well. I happen to love it, though I wouldn't want all my bags to be done in Saffiano. Done well, it's not as stiff as some would have you believe, though it is usually a more structured leather... It is usually also lighter weight, very durable and very easy to maintain. Ralph Lauren does beautiful Saffinao bags... This isn't to say that Dooney doesn't. I simply don't have any Dooney Saffiano bags so can't really give an opinion of their construction or in-person appearance. Henri Bendel, among others, also does some very nice Saffiano bags.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@itiswhatitis... Like any other type of leather, there are going to be variations. Some brands do it well and others less well. I happen to love it, though I wouldn't want all my bags to be done in Saffiano. Done well, it's not as stiff as some would have you believe, though it is usually a more structured leather... It is usually also lighter weight, very durable and very easy to maintain. Ralph Lauren does beautiful Saffinao bags... This isn't to say that Dooney doesn't. I simply don't have any Dooney Saffiano bags so can't really give an opinion of their construction or in-person appearance. Henri Bendel, among others, also does some very nice Saffiano bags.

Good point. Thanks for that clarification. All saffiano pieces are not the same. The texture is embossed into the coating, but the quality of the leather underneath and the materials in the coating can make a big difference in feel and suppleness. You are so right.  The first saffianos -- Gucci? I can't recall-- were softer and more supple than today's lower-cost iterations, including Dooney. 

Honored Contributor

It was Prada. Wouldn't mind this one. Smiley Happy

Prada

Honored Contributor

And here is a nice close-up:

prada-saffiano

Honored Contributor

I personally don't care for Saffiano leather because it looks like the cheap plastic handbags at Walmart.  I know it's easy to clean, wears well, etc., etc. but to my eye it looks like plastic.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I personally don't care for Saffiano leather because it looks like the cheap plastic handbags at Walmart.  I know it's easy to clean, wears well, etc., etc. but to my eye it looks like plastic.

________

I have to disagree, strongly. 

While some cheap Saffiano, may have a plastic look, I, personally, do not get a plastic look, from good quality, Saffiano.  

No, I don't want all Saffiano bags, but, I have two, that I love. They are easy to take care of, and they still look new!