Honored Contributor

Re: High end luxury bags are taking a heavy hit

While I believe that the really high end bags with the obvious branding on them are being passed over by the rich, I still think that they are selecting expensive high end brands that are not easily recognizable.  LV has quite a lot of styles that do not incorporate the Monogram Print or the Damier design.  They are all leather (in different types) and they are extremely expensive especially when they are made with exotic skins.  I do think that the rich are still buying, perhaps not as often but unless you are realy into LV, you wouldn't recognize the all leather styles  if someone passed you at the Mall.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

I think that outlets and designer collaborations have killed the market. I see so many outlet and fake bags here in Chicagoland. The deal and lost of individuality has killed the cat. People now assume that every LV, Gucci, Coach and etc is fake....who wants to pay money to be labeled fake.

Respected Contributor

I think you are right about the knockoffs creating a feeling that it's no longer a sign of wealth to carry them. 

Now they sell reserved bags like the Birkin where you get on a waiting list, and the list is obviously organized by if you are A list or not....and they cost the same as a luxury car. Which I find ridiculous.

But this kind of thing is a club card. When you show up at an event, someone notices you are carrying a "X" bag and makes a comment. Ooo, that's a ... and you are a card-carrying member of the in club. And that is why they cost the same as a car, because you can't afford it and they can pay for it without even blinking. 

I used to carry Coach because they were thick, wonderful leather and held up for years and were good bags. Then they went to the cloth logo bags and got very fashionable with young women. I stopped buying them. I now buy Dooneys (and I have to admit to finding the GILI's attractive) not because they are luxury brands but because they look like quality. I get compliments on my handbags when I am in public (I do speaking and other public events, and volunteer for some organizations where we are raising funds.) But I buy them to complete an outfit, not to show off a luxury brand.

Honored Contributor

Coach is sort of high end but nothing like Louie Vittuon (sp?) and other high end designers but Coach is crazy with some of their prices.  You either have to be out of your mind to buy one or you are filthy rich so it doesn't matter. 

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I miss the old Coach.  I still have several bags.  Being the bag freak I am I enjoy taking them out of their sleeper bags and using the bag if it fits the occassion.  The new design that started 10-15 years ago wrecked the brand.  The leather and the hardware ... 

A couple of years ago there was an indepth explaination as to why Coach felt like it needed to change their product.  

Occasional Contributor

I love your bag, Professor !  I adore woodstock... is that bag still available anywhere?  I have to look around, would love it for my collection.

Respected Contributor

@artdiva wrote:

I love your bag, Professor !  I adore woodstock... is that bag still available anywhere?  I have to look around, would love it for my collection.

@ArtDiva

The Coach Woodstock sold out last fall within 2 days of its introduction, alas. Numbered, limited edition. Great leather, total whimsy. A week ago they re-introduced some Peanuts bags on the Coach web, but I suspect those are largely gone? eBay is a source, but one always overpays for these, alas. Check out the Coach web site: search Coach and Peanuts on Google.

Super Contributor

Yes, there are very good fakes out there.  But many of these fakes are counterfeit. I don't recommend buying a counterfeit handbag as they are made of low quality materials, and the proceeds from the sales benefit criminal activities.

My own handbag collection ranges from $50 to $1,500.  I have purchased what I liked, and what I could afford.  But whatever the price point, one should purchase what they like and what they will enjoy using/wearing.

Honored Contributor

Just some general info:  Fakes are counterfeits.  Any handbag that has the copyrighted name and/or logo on it and was not manufactured by the company that holds the copyright is a fake/counterfeit and is illegal to sell.  In Italy they are also illegal TO BUY! 

There are handbags out there that are called Designer Inspired which copy the general coloration of the bag and the general logo configuration (Like a Q instead of a G for Gucci, or a stylized G instead of a C for Coach... stylized Goach) and no Logo or Copyright issues on the bag AT ALL. No names inside, nothing.... those handbags are legal to sell.    

The above poster is absolutely correct in that these counterfeits/fakes are made in overseas sweatshops (which children and "slaves" doing the work) in dangerous conditions with dangerous materials (sprays, laminates that leach poisons, etc.) and they absolutely are not made as well, nor do they use good materials.  The monies that are raised by fakes/counterfeits are infused into the Underground Black Market.... Terrorism, Gun Running, Drugs, Drug Cartels, S*x Slavery (children and adult, with children being kidnapped off the streets and taken out of the country).... it's horrendous.   I've not kept up with the research the last few years, but he monies raised back in 2006 topped 600 BILLION dollars~!

I think of it every time I see a fake..... Woman Sad

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Q4U, Thanks so much for your detailed information about fakes, and you're right - all fakes are counterfeits.  And thanks for mentioning about the "designer inspired" handbags as well.  Never ceases to amaze what certain people will sell on the streets or online...