Honored Contributor

Re: Handmade Deerskin Handbags

@Caffeina wrote:

@ECBG, do you know if she made earrings in the past? I have three pairs of deerskin shoulder dusters, and I'm pretty I bought them from her. This would have been back in the 80s, at a craft show in Maryland, possibly Frederick.

@Caffeina,She does make duster earrings!

Trusted Contributor

My vintage Vicki Love earrings. After going through my jewelry box I found a fourth pair. I haven't worn these in a long time, so I wore the long black pair today. They're 8" long and light as a feather.

vlove4.jpg

Honored Contributor

@CaffeinaThose are cute! I've emailed her and asked.  We should know in several days.  The ones she is doing now are strips of leather on the er hook.  The only metal that shows is the ear part.  They are more the length of your tan ones.

Honored Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

Her bags are pieces of art. I can only imagine how much they cost. 

@akaburtonfanHaving releaved her for lunch at the juried show last October, the small ones are around $180.00 and the large ones are $525.00  Keep in mind, all soft deerskin and all completely done by hand.  The strap is hand braided, not a strip.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

@ECBG, do you know if she made earrings in the past? I have three pairs of deerskin shoulder dusters, and I'm pretty I bought them from her. This would have been back in the 80s, at a craft show in Maryland, possibly Frederick.

@Caffeina,Vicki just emailed me back and those are her ers!  The ones she does now don't have the southwest feel and can be worn more without it being too much.  I feel the  leather strips are more visually interesting than the fringe too.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

@Caffeina,Vicki just emailed me back and those are her ers!  The ones she does now don't have the southwest feel and can be worn more without it being too much.  I feel the  leather strips are more visually interesting than the fringe too.

I thought so @ECBG! I usually keep the artist's card when I buy from them at the craft shows, but I didn't have hers.  Your OP here reminded me of her name. I was very into southwest jewelry back then, and big earrings too. My earrings were with a southwest necklace I bought from QVC back then. I'm now seriously considering one of her bags.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

I thought so @ECBG! I usually keep the artist's card when I buy from them at the craft shows, but I didn't have hers.  Your OP here reminded me of her name. I was very into southwest jewelry back then, and big earrings too. My earrings were with a southwest necklace I bought from QVC back then. I'm now seriously considering one of her bags.

@CaffeinaShe's diligently getting ready for spring shoes and does all of her own work.  Can you send me a picture of the one you love?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Beautiful bags and deerskin is so soft.   You can frequently find such handmade items on Etsy,  maybe not as arty.  Boy would they show the dirt though. 

@Kachina624,I don't think they would get any more dirty than other bags.  I always spray light colors, keep them out of the floor, and use a gentle soap and warm water to clean or saddle soap.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@CaffeinaShe's diligently getting ready for spring shoes and does all of her own work.  Can you send me a picture of the one you love?

I haven't picked out one in particular just yet. What I meant was one, not two or more. But wish I could have several!

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I haven't picked out one in particular just yet. What I meant was one, not two or more. But wish I could have several!

@Caffeina,I totally know!  I go with onbe and slowly work up..I'm the belt person!  Next I want the long vest!

No automatic alt text available.