Honored Contributor

I used to only carry a shopper style bag...the type w/ 2 handles on top that preferably were long enough to put on my shoulder & tuck under my arm. I found this style convenient to reach in & grab my phone when it rang. One strap always seemed to slide down . Then on a whim, I purchased a Dooney hobo...the SOPHIE bag....the only one they've done w/ a black bottom and black strap. Love it. Purchased 2 others in different colors when they went on sale. With the shopper style, I never zipped or latched the top & was surely going to lose something or be robbed. With my hobo style bag, having just one handle on my shoulder feels more secure. I have an outside pocket for my phone & therefore keep the top of the bag zipped and safe. I'm a convert...hobo bags for me.

Regular Contributor

Hobo.  I stay away from bags with two straps because the outside strap invariably falls off my shoulder and that's annoying.

I also have a Sophie and love it!  I've carried it almost every day for the past year and it has held up really well.

Trusted Contributor

I love the sophie and had it in Navy but gifted it my youngest sister because she liked it alot and couldn't afford one. It was my favorite for the same reasons you listed. It's the perfect size and the outside zip is the best. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@clangle@gramygram  Well, 2 SOPHIE lovers! Never figured out why they only did that 1 bag w/ the black trim and not the brown. It made it more sophisticated & most of my wardrobe goes better with black. If they brought it back, I'd be tempted to,purchase another.

Honored Contributor

Neither for me... I prefer satchels, but if I had to pick, while it would depend on the specific bag, I'd probably pick a small tote or shopper over a hobo... I never cared for the Sophie bag...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Totes/shoppers are my favorite, with hobos close behind. As long as the straps fit comfortably over the shoulder (10-12 inch strap drop is best), l'm happy!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Hobos stay on my shoulder better than shoppers. Plus I'm not a fan of north south bags anyway, which shoppers tend to be. They have their place though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I used to only carry a hobo style bag. I fell in love with the crossbody style but had difficulty in finding one that was the right size. I then went to a shopper style for the first time because I fell in love with the leather on this bag.  I love the space and it is convenient when I'm picking up prescritptions and then grocery shopping. I do have trouble with the one of the straps sliding down my arm occasionally but they are wider and I prefer that. As long as it has a zipper that secures the bag then I'm good. I like to have a few large size pockets inside the bag as well. I don't purchase a lot of handbags but prefer to have one or two per season depending on weather conditions.    

Honored Contributor

Generally neither of those - I prefer a satchel style bag. One strap, preferably adjustable between cross body and short. I am not a fan of the new look with 2 handles and a separate cross body strap hanging there. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Of the two you mentioned, I prefer a hobo. But a satchel is my favorite handbag style. Zip tops on everything is preferable.