Valued Contributor

Ebay bag - removing odor and dirt

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the INTERIOR of a bag that the lining does not come out of?

And, too, the bag has a strong odor from the inside.  It's not the scent of leather - it's a strong chemical scent.  Not quite perfume, but similar.  I have tried baking soda and other methods of trying to get out the odor.  

But, I don't know how to "clean" the inside of the bag.  I don't have a vacuum nozzle. Any ideas on how to get a lint brush into the crevices of the bag?

Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ebay bag - removing odor and dirt

[ Edited ]

Many dry cleaners clean leather bags.

For the smell: leave it outdoors in the sun, stuff it with newspapers or make a sachet with activated charcoal. Any of these would take at least several days.

For lint removal: try an old toothbrush or foam craft paintbrush.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, @queendiva.  I tried the dry cleaners today, and they weren't able to do anything.  He did mention they could send it to a "leather cleaner" for a fee of $125.  But, I'm just wanting the liner cleaned so I didn't think it would be helpful.

I tried the fresh air and baking soda for several days.  Still the scent.  

Thanks for your other suggestions!!  I really like the bag; but, the scent is so strong.

Respected Contributor

I would not keep a soiled bag that also has odors. I have sold some of my Dooneys on eBay, but I would never sell anything that is soiled in any way. 

Esteemed Contributor

Couldn't you have sent it back....how was the bag advertised when you bid on it...

Several years ago i bought a Dennis Basso throw from e-bay...it was advertised as new with tags....when it arrived it smelled so bad of tobacco ...it was awful..it was to be a gift....

I wrote the woman and she appologized and said she would refund me and she did...it was a smooth transaction with her...

Respected Contributor

I sure would not of had put so much effort in this bag.

I would of contacted the seller and returned it. 

At Home Improvement stores, in the household cleaning aisles, there are products that soak up odors, try one of those.

Valued Contributor

The bag was sold as "excellent used condition," and she had great reviews of other excellent used condition bags, as well.

Unfortunately, there are no refunds allowed.  And, I do like the bag in that I haven't been able to find this particular color/style elsewhere; but, I was disappointed in the odor and that the inner linings had particles of some kind.

Honored Contributor

Occasionally I work at our Church's thrift shop. When we get in a used purse we have a spray that the health department requires the interior of the bag be treated with. It has an odd cross between chemical and perfume odor. I think if you just aired it outside the smell would fade.

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

The bag was sold as "excellent used condition," and she had great reviews of other excellent used condition bags, as well.

Unfortunately, there are no refunds allowed.  And, I do like the bag in that I haven't been able to find this particular color/style elsewhere; but, I was disappointed in the odor and that the inner linings had particles of some kind.

I hope you made comment on her reviews how bad that bag is...I sure would have....hope you didn't pay a lot for it...seems like you have put much effort in getting it odor free..something you should not have had to...

Any wonder she has a no refund policy...sending out bad items as excellent condition....shame on her...

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it's only me but, I would never buy anything from EBay or anywhere else that wasn't new .... how does the OP know where the bag came from & what the prior owner did with it & put in it?? ..... I would never be able to put my stuff in it  & actually use it.