Trusted Contributor

Dooney bag that has a smoker's smell

How do  I get the smell of smoker's smell out of my bag?  It's the signature cross body, cotton one,  with leather trim and handles...HELP!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney bag that has a smoker's smell

@mishka14

To find many ideas on how to get a smell out of a bag:

google to find Purse Forum
Bags, Bags, Bags
Handbag Care & Maintenance
Go to Page 2 -- and look for:
How to get a smell out of a bag
(Several ideas to try for various odors)

Valued Contributor

I'm so sensitive to that awful small that probably nothing would work for me, but I can make a few suggestions from Heloise:

1. Fill the bag with cat litter & baking soda, let sit for at least a week.

2. Fill bag with dryer sheets.

3. Fill bag with crumpled newspaper.

Can you spray it with Febreeze inside & outside, put it in a plastic bag & seal bag?

Send it to the dry cleaners?

Trusted Contributor

The crumpled newspaper idea is the best.  Just be sure to change it and put in fresh paper daily.  I use that for lots of smells.  I buy a lot of vintage items and it works great.  It also works for taking smells out of your freezer/fridge.

Respected Contributor

I had the same problem with a wool Kate Spade bag. I took it to a dry cleaner, not the $1.99 guy. It cost about $20 but they cleaned it and the smell was gone.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your information and suggestions....I have ordered the Fridgeit from ebay.....as someone suggested.

I won't have newspaper till Thursday, and not sure I want to use that because don't want

the black print to be left in my handbag.

I googled the problem and they suggessted unused coffee grounds,.  so I put some in the zipper plastic bags and put the bags unzipped in my handbag....then put the handbag into a large plastic bag and tied it up tight....

Checked it earlier and it seemed to be working...so will keep it tied up for a couple days and see what happens...

I will let you all know how it all turns out...thanks again!

Honored Contributor

Get a jar of gel odor absorber and put your handbag inside a plastic bag. Open all the pockets, unzip the zippers before putting it in the bag.  Put the open jar of odor absorber inside the bag, blow some air into the bag and close up the top tightly.  Don't open for about a week.  When you do, take a sniff and the smell should be gone.  If not, try it again for a few days.

I used to sell antiques and would use the odor absorbers to get rid of mildew odors in all kinds of items.  One was a humpback trunk that was lined in turn of the century paper graphics.  No way to scrub the interior of the trunk.  I put two of these odor absorbers opened inside the trunk and closed it tightly for two weeks.  There was no odor when I opened the trunk and no odor returned!

I've used them inside drawers of an old dresser (wood) one jar per drawer.  These gel odor absorbers are everywhere, grocery stores (where they sell air fresheners), the Pet Section of WalMart, Ace Hardware, etc.  Good luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*