Valued Contributor

Dooney Chelsea: Pebbled leather Vs. Dillen ?

[ Edited ]

I'm not entirely sure; but, I think Dooney is discontinuing the Dillen Chelsea.  Just out of curiousity, does anyone know the difference between the Pebbled Leather Chelsea and the Dillen Leather Chelsea?  They come in different colors and was wondering why that might be so.  (The Pebbled Leather seems to have the more colors.)

I can't tell from the description on the Dooney website, and their price is the same.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney Chelsea: Pebbled leather Vs. Dillen ?

I don't think they do many Dillen leather bags anymore, which is sad. My black Dillen satchel has been one of my fave, go- to bags for several years. I still love it.. Dillen is a higher quality, smoother leather while pebble leather is embossed.

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much, @libbyannE, for the reply!  What you said helped.  And, I agree, I think they are phasing out Dillen it seems.

Respected Contributor

I have alot of Dooney Dillen leather and pebbled leather.  The label pebbled leather is used for several different collections which might have different styles, trim details, and leather quality. Some pebbled leather is thick (like the Samba collection or the old All Weather Leather), and some is much thinner (like the leather used for the zip zip satchel).

Dillen leather is a type of pebbled leather.  It is much thicker than many (but not all) of the 'pebbled leather'.  As a result,  Dillen leather is much heavier.   In the Chelsea in particular you can really feel the weight difference. Dillen collection leather is generally less pebbled than the generic Dooney pebbled leather.  But individual pieces of either collection can vary.

Pebbled leather gets it's pebble texture primarily from the way the leather is processed and of course the nature of the piece of leather itself..  Embossed leather, made to look like pebbled leather, is a totally different process. I'm not an expert, but I think pebbled leather uses more leather (per square inch of finished product) than embossed leather, and therefore true pebbled leather is a more expensive material than embossed pebbled leathers.  They can both be attractive, they are just not the same thing. 

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good post @Lavenderjunkie, as I think it's important to note that most pebble leather is the result of a treatment or process and not merely 'embossing'. As for what's coming and what's going with Dooney, I have no idea but they do 'turn over' some of their leather options regularly.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Thank you, @Lavenderjunkie, for that detailed information.  I did not know that.  Very helpful!  Thanks again!