Esteemed Contributor

Cleaning out and donating handbags

This time of year is when I clean out my closets and it's been a while since I went through my handbag collection. I'm donating oversized vinyl tote bags that have no zipper closures -- they are more useful as a beach bag but I haven't been to the beach where I had to haul a towel and everything else that goes with it in a long time so out they go! I also am giving away a vinyl computer case from Fossil, I never used it. Also on the chopping block are some Le Sport Sac fabric bags that were bought from QVC's Super Saturday eons ago. I don't use them and so out they go too! I'll take it to a thrift store that supports a local hospice tomorrow.

Regular Contributor

Re: Cleaning out and donating handbags

@TY

Very nice of you to do this!

😊

Valued Contributor

Always when I buy a new handbag,I give or donate the old handbag,the same for clothes. If you are not wearing or carrying a handbag or clothes. in six months ( by season) donate or give it away. Because it's taking up space.My closet is color coordinated, so it's easy.

Valued Contributor

I have three D&B and two Coach handbags I just don't want anymore and my daughter doesn't want them. I need find a new home for them.

Esteemed Contributor

I also decided to clean out the luggage stored in the closet under the stairs in the basement. Out went old travel crossbody bags with cell phone pockets meant for the old school flip phone, out went the old and heavy backpack, out went a canvas tote that was a pet fur magnet, out went a business trolley case that weighed a lot empty, out went a carry on roller board bag that my husband complained about the handle being wonky. None of these items have been used in years. I donated them to Value Village.

Honored Contributor

I long ago got rid of all purses that don't have a pocket on the outside for my smart phone, except a couple vintage purses that don't count. I also require 2 slip and 1 large zip inside pockets on all purses. 

Lately, I seem to be attracted to purses in various colors instead of neutrals.For some reason I am loving color in my clothing, my purses and my home more than ever. I wonder why?

Honored Contributor

Just yesterday I donated a Hartman cosmetic bag (excellent shape but heavy and I don't carry it any more), a Vera Bradley weekender bag in a pattern I don't like, and a few older patern VB handbags along with some clothing and household items.  And books, of couse BOOKS!

Esteemed Contributor

When I went through the luggage stored in the closet under the stairs in the basement (this closet is like the equivalent of a junk drawer for the most part), I found I had 2 big rollerboards and 5 smaller rollerboards and an X-case. The X-case has got knick knacks stored in them (I'm going to go through that in a few months as I decided that if I had stored those knick knacks for 6 months without looking at them, I would feel ok about getting rid of them).

I have gotten rid of 2 of the small rollerboards but that leaves 2 that aren't used plus 2 that are used. My daughter has a small rollerboard already so I can't believe I've been holding on to so many suitcases so long.

It's not only smartphone technology that change with time and makes old ones obsolete, but luggage technology does too. Luggage has become lighter and smaller and with airline regulations that have downsized the carry-on size dimensions, some of the ones I had were too big and some were definitely too heavy to be used comfortably on a trip. I'd rather use a carry-on rollerboard that is light and has inside pockets that are useful. 

I've been having neck and back problems this winter due to snow shoveling so I'm going to get rid of a 3rd carry-on rollerboard that is too big. The big rollerboard suitcases I would toss too but we will need them for a trip this year.

Esteemed Contributor

So this evening I tackled the junk closet -- the one in the basement under the stairs and my husband and I dragged out the big Rubbermaid and Sterlite containers. But first I had to take out all of my outerwear coats that are in garment bags so that I could get at those boxes in the back. Then I went through 6 boxes of Christmas and holiday stuff and found a lot of empty boxes and old light strings.

I cleaned, tossed, and piled the donations in the garage and consolidated those into 4 Rubbermaid containers. I put my daughters stuffed animals in one Rubbermaid box and her old dance costumes in another.

Tomorrow I'll gather the donations -- unwanted Christmas ornaments and stuff and donate them. I have 1 bag of trash and need to flatten a lot of cardboard boxes for recycling on next garbage day. 

Now the closet is clean and manageable and easier to get in and out of.

Honored Contributor

@granny me wrote:

I have three D&B and two Coach handbags I just don't want anymore and my daughter doesn't want them. I need find a new home for them.

@granny me- I've sold several purses on a Facebook yard sale site I belong to.  It's worked out pretty well for me.  All of them don't sell, but most of them have.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?